1986 F250 4x4 front wheel bearings (getting to them!)

I've got a '86 F250 SuperCab 4x4 that I believe to have a Dana 50 IFS on the front, however I don't have any solid evidence on that, so it may be a Dana 44-HD IFS. Is there any way to tell by looking (other than the factory tag, which is so rusted it can't be deciphered)?

Anyway, I removed the hub but now can't get the locknut off. I purchased a special tool (OTC No. 7158) that is supposed to be the equivalent of the spanner wrench D85T-1197-A that is called for in the repair manual. The tool fits on the locknut just fine, but I can't get it to budge. I thought the torque specs were about 35 ft. lbs. on the locknut so it shouldn't be on too tight, right? I put a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the tool, then put a 4 foot pipe on the breaker bar, and I still can't get the locknut to budge.

Have I got the wrong special tool? Am I going about this the wrong way? What am I doing wrong?

I'm half tempted to purchase the special tool for the Dana 44-HD IFS and see if that works, however the special tool I have fits just fine and I was under the assumption that the SuperCab models were equipped with the Dana 50 IFS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

Reply to
David

It's been quite a number or years since I've had to dive into one. It isn't reverse threads, is it?

John

Reply to
spodely

I really can't see the threads to tell if they are reverse threads, but the repair manual makes no mention of reverse threads. I'll go out there with a flashlight and try to take another look at the couple of threads that are exposed. Thanks for the suggestion.

David

Reply to
David

Just a quick follow-up to say the as far as I can tell, the spindles appear to be standard threaded. So I guess I'm attempting to turn the locknuts the correct direction (counter-clockwise).

This afternoon I've been trying to remove both the driver side and the passenger side locknuts, can't budge either one. The special tool I purchased has slipped off the locknuts a couple of times and is taking a beating, it wouldn't surprise me if something breaks here shortly.

I'm stumped.

Reply to
David

Are there any "C" clips on the shafts preventing the nuts from turning off?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

is there a slot in the shaft with a wedge-shaped thingamajig in it that's keeping it from turning ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

There was a C clip on the spindle that held the 4x4 hub on, but that C clip was removed so that I could get the hub off. I don't see any other clips, rings, pins, etc that might be preventing the locknut from turning on the spindle. Thanks for the suggestion.

David

Reply to
David

Yes, there is a slot in the shaft, but there doesn't appear to be anything in there. I can see all the way into the slot and it appears to be open clear to the backside of the locknut. I think the slot is for the washer that fits behind the locknut, in the repair manual that washer appears to have a tab on it that fits into the slot, probably to prevent the washer from turning when the locknut is turned.

I have looked things over carefully, and I can't see any type of pin, key, clip, etc that would be holding the locknut in place. However, I am going back out in the driveway right now with a bright flashlight, and I'm going to double check that there isn't some sort of key in the shaft. Thank you for the suggestion.

David

Reply to
David

Here's what I'm looking at, maybe some pics will help.

Thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions so far!

David

Reply to
David

that's the standard set-up

bearing-nut-washer with keyway-second nut

you use the first nut to set bearing play, install the washer, cinch the second nut down on top of the washer

both sides are standard thread

sounds like somebody got over-eager with an impact wrench..........

good luck

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct, whoever was in there last time didn't bother with a torque wrench. I've got a friend that has some air tools, I'll see if I can get his assistance this weekend, maybe we can crack those nuts loose. Hopefully the special tool that fits on the locknut won't shatter, it doesn't appear to be an impact type tool.

Thanks again, David

Reply to
David

Yep, looks like the usual setup, it's going to take some grunt to get 'em loose.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Will put some air tools on it this weekend and see what happens.

David

Reply to
David

I got the lock-nuts removed today, finally! Borrowed a friend's air tools and that did the trick. Now if I can only figure out how to get those spindles off, I beat on them with a rubber hammer but they won't budge. Well, I'll keep at it.

David

Reply to
David