1991 E250 Econoline Van Won't Start

This van was purchased at a auction. Was told it was in running condition but it has been parked for approx 1.5 years. Currently, the engine would crank, but won't turn over. Here are a bit more details

1)van was purchased as parts w/o keys / titles

2)had to use a screw driver jam into the ignition lock cylinder to get it out and replaced with a new one (hopefully I didn't mess up the ignition switch)

3)Put the new batter in, but connected positive terminal to negative post, and negative terminal to positive post. (the previous owner changed the negative terminal and used red 4" cable). Sparks were all over by the post. I finally connected correctly and checked all fuse. Fuse block doesn't 't look original and unmarked...check every single one with lights, and they seem to be ok

4)Tried start the van, hear the delay and fuel pump, but no crank...no radio or heat/fan...broken fuse somewhere???

5) Found 1 of the 4 wires to ignition coil is broken (see picture), pulled the harness and found there are 3 slots that the wire can go into. However, on the coil side. There are only 2 contact points for connections. So I just tapped the broken red wire onto the other red wire. So there are 2 wires on each side. (hope this is correct)

6) Changed the starter solenoid and tried starting the van. This time it crank pretty strong (so I guess my battery is still good), but it wo't turn over. still no radio or heat/fan and I don't know why.

7)The fuel gauge looks empty when the key is in on position. Since I have 2 gas tanks, I dumped approx 1 gal of gas in each tank....still couldn't get the van started.

Any idea what I should do next? the sparks and wires looked fairly new, but the ignition coil looks old, should I replace it next?

TIA!

Dave

Reply to
camg042

You need air, fuel and spark. Check the air path, make sure fuel is getting to the engine, make sure you have spark to ignite the air-fuel mixture. Do not randomly replace parts. Just because the coil looks old doesn't mean it's not working or even so if the coil itself is bad. You have to get a signal to the coil for it to do it's work.

Reply to
I. Care

He hooked the battery up back words so probably lost a fuse link or two, which would explain some accessories not working when the key is on, and figure he blew the ignition module at the same time. They don't like batteries hooked up back words, batteries disconnected while engine running, or jumper cables hooked up wrong. Good possibility he damaged the ECM as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning