1995 ford bronco/ rear-end whinning noise

Hi, Hope someone can help me! I own a 1995 Ford Bronco 5.8L with 131,000 miles. Still runs great, except recently, I started hearing this whinning noise from the rear-end while on the freeway. I?m not sure what it is. I?d rather fix it on my own instead of going to the dealer. Can someone advise or share their thoughts on what it might be and how to fix it? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reply to
geb818

You can rule out tire noise by reducing then increasing the air pressure in them. Drop the pressure down to a minimum, drive it, listen for the noise, then increase the pressure right up to but not exceeding the max pressure, and drive it again. Drive it under the same circumstances that caused the noise in the first place. If the noise changes drastically, then it's tires making the noise. If not, then look elsewhere. Bearings, rear end, etc.

Spdloader

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Spdloader

Just happened to my 2001 Ranger with 110,000 miles. You need to get a manual that has differential noise diagnostics or have a drive train shop diagnose it, around here they will do that for free. After they quote you $1,200 or so to rebuild it go to a junk yard and find a low mile used unit with a warranty. Cost me $400 and a few hours labor. TG

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

TG