2000 Ford f-150 lost radio display

My radio is no suffering from a known problem, the radio plays, the display is gone (unless in cold weather). Short of replacing with an after-market radio, any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
daleboyd

Welcome to Ford radio... it's the nature of the beast. My '88 and '95 Fords both did the same.

Reply to
Advocate

My '99 F150 did it so I popped the radio out, opened it up, and found a surface mount component was loose on the circuit board. A quick resolder job and everything has been fine ever since. Couldn't tell you for sure if this is the same problem on yours and I can't recall exactly the part number or where it was located on the board since it has been 3 years since I fixed it but that is what I did for mine. That type of soldering job isn't highly recommended for a novice so if you decide to have a look for yourself and you do find the same problem then make sure you get someone who is familiar with soldering practices to do the soldering part for you.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

There is a guy in NY who fixes it for about $50. After shipping and all you are probably looking around $75. I still have mine but I didn't get around to doing the fix because I didn't want to be without a stereo for a week. I ended up getting a $100 after-market Sony cd player (for an additional $25 it will play MP3's if that is your thing) at Circuit City that took about 20 minutes and $50 to install. It sounds better than stock, has a removeble face and AM reception was greatly improved.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Shine a flashlight in the display and see if you can read the numbers. Lots of Ford radios have a light bulb that back lights the display. If the lamp goes out you can't see the display.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That's all that mine was, like "Big Al" says....... the small bulb, got it from a stereo installation shop

Reply to
Eagle Creek