6.0 Turbo diesel Mileage

Before I bought mine, I seem to remember claims that the 6.0 Ltr Turbo Diesel was going to get better mileage than other Ford Diesels. I am getting around 14.5 mpg. What's going on?

Reply to
Clyde Carpenter

I don't know, but that sucks.

Every 6.0L Diesel F250/F350 owner I have asked is getting better than that.

My 2005 F-450 CrewCab 4X4 4.30/1 limited slip dual rearend, weighs in at

10,000 pounds empty. I get 15.2 MPG on the highway empty at mostly 65 miles per hour. Around town, not driving easy, I get 14.2 MPG... Towing I see between 10.5-13.2 MPG...
Reply to
351CJ

I am currently driving an '05 F-350 Crew Cab SRW from MA to Denver, CO. towing an empty, 18 foot car trailer. With the 6.0 Powerstroke, I am averaging 15.4 mpg doing mostly 70 mph. I also noticed that the mileage dropped about 1 or 2 mpg last fall when the fuel stations switched over to the diesel winter blend that adds some kerosene to prevent fuel gelling. During the summer you will get the best mileage.

I am picking up a classic truck in Denver and will see what kind of mileage I get on the way back.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

It sounds like you are getting decent mileage...if you were to drop to 55 mph, I'll bet you'd be suprised how much your mileage increases.

I've heard rumor that Ford is dropping the 6.0 PSD, I would assume they would go back to the excellent 7.3. Any truth to this?

Reply to
Advocate

I;m getting about 16 in mixed driving. If I keep it under 60 I get 19. 2005 Excursion, only 6000 miles, hasn't broken in yet.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I had some problems with mine ... a late 2004 build engine in a 2005 truck. The high pressure oil pump and pressure regulator died twice, once at 8000 miles and again at a little over 12000 miles. According to the tech who repaired it the second time, it now has redesigned components and I should not have any more problems. Now at almost 17000 miles and all is ok, knock on wood.

The story I heard, and confirmed by the Ford diesel tech, is the 6.0 L is built and supplied to Ford by Navistar (International). The early ones had all kinds of problems and Ford and Navistar got into a pissing contest about who's fault it was. I have been told that their relationship has been terminated after the current contract and Ford will be introducing a new design as a replacement.

In a way this is too bad. The 7.3L also had initial problems, but they were worked out and it became a reliable engine. According to the Ford tech, the same is true with the 6.0L. Now that the problems have been worked out, the engine is a good one, producing more power than the 7.3L with better fuel mileage. Mine recently was updated with some revised engine software and it runs smooth and much quieter when cold. Most likely, Ford will have to go through the same initial teething problems with a new engine design.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

BTW, there are new government mandated emission requirements for diesel engines going into effect for the 2007 model year. I don't know if they apply to small, light duty engines such as pickups, etc., but they do apply to all big rig diesels. The end result will be lower power, poorer mileage and more expensive to buy.

They are also mandating use of lower sulfur content fuel, which will be more expensive.

Stupid, because diesel or diesel/electric will probably be the power of choice in the future to replace gassers. The government has to screw up everything. In Europe, diesel engines in trucks and cars are desired instead of gas because of the high cost of gasoline. In addition, a gallon of diesel has more energy (BTUs) than gasoline.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

I'm getting 16.5 highway, and around 13.5 towing with my 7.3PSD. I got much better when I had the Hypertech Stage III installed, about 3 more mpg.

Spdloader '99 F350 DRW Crew Cab 4WD

7.3L PSD

Reply to
Spdloader

I have also heard that Chrslyers "exclusive" contract with Cummins is expiring the end of this year and Cummins is talking with other American manufacturers.

I owned a 1995 Dodge Cummins TurboDiesel and loved the inline 6 (sadly that's the only good thing I can say about that truck). I'd love to purchase another in a vehicle with a running gear that could handle the engine.

*hint* : )
Reply to
Advocate

Thanks, I'm happy it beats the crap out of the less than 12 My 460 truck got. As to the 55 mph, I've attempted to try it, at 65 I'm still the slowest rig on the road, I would much prefer flowing with the traffic...

No, they are making a larger 6.0, it will be 6.8, the 7.3 is dead and gone forever, it was unable to meet ever more stringent emission standards.

Besides, my excellent smaller 6.0 is cleaner, much quieter, has more horsepower and torque than a 7.3, why would I want to step back?

Reply to
351CJ

I wasn't saying anything about "you" stepping back. The 7.3 was a very well respected engine that Ford diesel fans were happy with. I personally know quite a few happy 7.3 owners that have no intention of purchasing a 6.0 PSD. The fact that loyal Ford owners had heard enough bad about the 6.0 to make them avoid that powerplant says alot...One would assume that Ford Motors would like to lure some of the diehard Cummins and Duramax owners over once in a while; they weren't doing that with the current offering.

Don't mistake my statement as a cutdown on the 6.0. I have not owned one but my brother has had two and loved them both (he is a vehicle wholesaler that works for a Ford/Chrslyer dealer). He is convinced that the 6.0 was a great engine but admits that early rumors of problems, be they true or false, hurt the sales.

Reply to
Advocate

Trust me. They weren't rumors. Having said that, the 6.0 is now debugged, just as the 7.3 went through a debugging process, and is considered a great engine. Just in time to make it obsolete and bring in another engine to debug.

One of the problems is the horsepower/torque war that goes on between Ford, GM and Dodge. Each one wants to be able to claim "top in class". My 6.0 has all the horsepower and torque it needs to do the job it was designed to do. I don't need more power and I don't need performance chips. I don't understand the fascination with "go fast" diesel trucks. I much prefer a strong, reliable engine matched to an equally strong and reliable transmission.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

I agree completely...I believe my '95 Cummins had less than 200 hp and it pulled like a monster.

Reply to
Advocate

I get about 10 with the 32' fifth wheel, 15-16 with the 21' boat, mid teens in town and about 20 on the highway with my '03 6.0. That is without extreme headwinds, extreme hills and all other things being equal. I have had no trouble with the engine. It is very strong.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

The wife and I were at a Ford dealer this afternoon. We tested a 2006 King ranch, 4 door, 4x4, 6.0 diesel. We were told that for 2008 Ford will be giving the superduty lineup a new look and a bigger diesel for the heavier class trucks. Now I'm not sure if I should keep my 97 F150 4x4 XLT 4.6 - wait for the 2008 model - or get the King ranch now on a lease and trade it in after 3 years.

Reply to
TracyDumoulin

Tough call. Here's something to consider....

Every time a manufacturer introduces a new engine, it usually goes through some teething problems. The Ford 7.3L initially had some problems that were ironed out over a couple of years and it became an excellent, reliable engine. Same thing with the

6.0 L. There were all kinds of horror stories when it first came out, continued through 2004 and part of 2005. It now seems that the bugs are out of it and it also has become a really good engine. I think Ford is coming out with a 6.8 L to replace it. If it were me, I'd wait a couple of years. I have an '05 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 and had some initial problems with the 6.0L. They have now been resolved and I really am impressed with it's performance. It has more power than I need and gets decent fuel mileage to boot.

Just my opinion.

RCE

Reply to
RCE