Changing Glow Plugs On a 96 PowerStroke

What is involved with changing out the glow lugs on a 96 PowerStroke. My dad's truck doesn't dire up when it less than 70 degrees outside and the Dealer said he had 6 glow plugs out. They wanted 700+ to change them out and I was wondering if it is similar to changing out spark plugs or if it is more involved. I've never worked on a diesel before.

Reply to
Barry R.

Ask you question here:

Tom

Reply to
Thomas

Barry,

In addition to my link to the diesel stop, let me say this: yes, there is more to changing the glow plugs on a diesel than changing spark plugs on a gasser. I don't have a powerstroke, but I do have a ford IDI diesel, which is simplier than the power stroke.

It is my understanding that you will have to remove the valve covers to get at the GPs on a powerstroke. Also, buy good quality glow plugs, the guys at diesel stop will advise you on which brand to get, but you are looking at

25.00 or more per plug (i think) x 8 = $200.00 plus gaskets and alot of time.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas

After the Job...

Posting this for posterity.

Replacing the glow plug is fairly strait forward. Take the valve covers off (on the passenger side, you must remove the vacuum reservoir) take the electrical caps off and then remove the plugs. Then test them on a meter for resistance between .1 and .6 olms. 6 of

8 on the truck were open, but I replaced all of them with motorcraft plugs that I bought for 9 bucks a piece. You will need alot of extensions and to universals to get to some of the hard to reach bolts.

Reply to
Barry R.

How long did the job take you?

Reply to
351CJ
5 hours, you can knock 2 hours off if you take off the damn vacum resevour thats under the heat shield by passenger side valve cover before you pointlessly monkey around with the transmission check tube. I've had a tougher time changing spark plugs on gas engines then doing this job. Just don't be afraid to take the valve covers off, besides the injectors and valves on that 7.3 look pretty cool.

Reply to
Barry R.