check engine light 98 ford F150

Hello to the group ,would appreciate any thoughts and ideas. The check engine stays lit .the truck is running ok. Took truck to ford dealer to be checked out.Dealer said it needs filler neck replaced. estimated cost is 500.dollars. This neck is leading to gas tank and according to the dealer is deteriorating. thanks hlb

Reply to
HL B123

The dealer could be right. Might be the filler neck. I bet your error code had to do with the PURGE circurt.

I'd buy a new gas cap first, it might be all that's wrong.

Other reasons for the code are:

Fuel filling while engine is running. Loose or bad fuel cap. Overfilling the fuel tank, some fuel may get into the PURGE circurt and screw things up.

Those are the common reasons for the error code.

Before letting the dealer do the work, check the web for any recalls or service bulletins on the filler neck.

I don't trust dealers, they will screw you at any opportunity.

CC

Reply to
CarCrazy666

thanks for suggestions. I took truck to auto parts store for a free diagnostic test. they indicated bad gas cap possibllity.I have replaced cap ,check engine light went out after disconnecting battery cables. I will test drive and let you know results thanks hlb

Reply to
HL B123