Early 70's F-350 truck question(s)

Not a Ford guy, so...

I have a friend that owns a 1972ish F-350 dually that has a V-8 and a manual 4-speed. I do not know anymore about the vehicle other than it was converted into a boom-lift truck and has a PTO to operate the hydraulics. It has a two barrel carb and the dist. is at the front of the engine. This conversion is not recent and does not appear to be done in what I consider to be a professional manor, but I digress.

There are obvious issues with getting the thing running. A manual choke was installed over the automatic (I presume stock) choke. Once warmed up it appears to operate normally until one tries to drive it on the street. It is mostly driven around a small trailer park in

1st and 2nd gear. However, this past December the truck was driven on the street to have a tire repaired and a muffler installed. The question I have, for now, is in regards to the following:

When shifting into third gear the truck stalls out. Shifting between

1st and 2nd does not present any issues. The truck is hard to start after it stalls. Is there an obvious reason for the engine to stall when shifting to third? This is after the engine has fully warmed up and I have managed to, at least on the way to get the tire fixed, shift the truck into 4th. Zero problems were noticed until after the tire was fixed (right, rear, interior -- do not think there is a relation to the problem) and I was driving to the muffler shop.
Reply to
Steve F.

At Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:58:26 -0800, Oren rearranged some electrons to write:

And, you are replying to a 9 year old post.

Reply to
David

At Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:22:51 +0000, David rearranged some electrons to write:

Whoops my bad. Belay that.

Reply to
David