F-150 4x4 Axle ration question

Can anybody tell me what the rear Axle ration is on my truck? I'm trying to figure out what my tow rating is so if you happen to know that as well....

1997 F-150 4X4 Ext. Cab 4.6 litre Lariat model 17' factory wheels

Thanks, Dave Vickery

Reply to
dnd

I really didn't realize that they were "ration*ing axles, but I guess that it makes sense since most people only use one rear axle per vehicle. ;-)

Reply to
BOB

" BOB" > figure out what my tow rating is so if you happen to know that as well....

I believe he was asking about gear ratios.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What is on the metal tag attached to the rear end "pumpkin"?

There should be some numbers, including your gear ratio.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Look on the rear axle by the carrier housing (the pumpkin, the differential etc etc..). There should be a tag with the ratio on it, and it should read something like 373 or 3L73. The 373 means you have a standard open 3.73 carrier and the 3L73 means you have a "traction-lok" differential. "Traction-lok" is just Ford's version of a Posi-trac.

I believe the normal gear ratios were: 3.56, 3.73, 3.93, and 4.10. I think the 4.10 and the 3.73 were the most common.

Reply to
Mike Sykes

differential

Reply to
Jay Anderson

Look on the tag on the door post.

Reply to
Tyrone

It's not on the door post.

Reply to
Steve Barker

why did i write ration instead of ratio? i dunno... i must have been thinking of how long it would take me to save enough for a new truck on the $20.00 per week spending RATION my wife allows me to have... oh well, that's too depressing to think about.

however, i did look on the door sticker and it doesn't say. unless i'm a moron and don't know how to read it which is totally possible. i haven't looked on the real axle pumpkin yet but i will.

i was (when starting this thread) going to rent a travel trailer that weighed about 4,500 lbs. but have since decided to go with a motor home.

wouldn't it be nice to have a truck that you wouldn't have to worry about what you towed? something like an F-350 or 450? maybe even a 3500. oh well - "2 curtain climbers and a new house payment = no new truck for daddy" says momma. mmmmmm.... power stroke, cummings, duramax...... mmmmm

Reply to
dnd

There should be a label on the door post with an alphanumeric code on it

The code is something like if the 8th digit is a H then the ratio is ???

Anyway if you have the owners manual you should be able to decypher the axle ratio.

Reply to
emcook

Are you telling me that there is no axle code on the door post?

Reply to
Tyrone

There is a Vehicle Certification (VC) Label on the door or the door lock pillar. The axle code is located on the bottom of the label, just right of center. It's a 2 or 3 digit code. The codes for 1997 F-150/250LD are as follows.

- 18 - 3.08.

- 19 - 3.55.

- 26 - 3.73.

- 27 - 3.31.

- H9 - 3.55 Limited slip.

- B6 - 3.73 Limited Slip.

On 4X4 applications, these numbers will be followed by the number 2

Hope this helps

JP

Reply to
JP

Click on the link below then enter your information.

I dont think the calculator takes in to consideration the over drive transmissions.

So if you have a 5 speed standard transmission, 4th gear would be the one to run the test.

Same goes for automatics with overdrive. run the test in the second to the last gear.

If no overdrive run the test in your final gear.

Josh Jona Rael

No, but if you look at the quoted messages below, you'll see that the OP requested what is the axle ratio in my truck. YOU answered Look on the door post.

The ratio is NOT on the door post. Now, if he had asked for an axle CODE, you would have been correct.

Reply to
Steve Barker

My mistake. From the door post he could have derived the axle ratio by way of the axle code.

Reply to
Tyrone

The axle code on your door post indicates what it is and I found a web site about that nice stuff. They main page:

And.......the direct link to axle codes !!

Karl in Spokane

Reply to
Karl Shoemaker