Followup: Wham! 99 Ranger

Well, I have waited about 3 weeks to have an engineer at Ford ask around about the 99 Ranger acting like it got rear-ended when in gear with the brakes applied. No one at Ford that he talked with had ever heard of such a thing. While I waited, we would hit the switch on the overdrive and turn it off when coming to a stop. That seemed to help but I really didn't want to do this forever. The mechanic I took the truck to said he has never heard of it but would run some diagnositics. No Codes showed up so he dropped the pan, cleaned the pan, changed the fluid and filter. The only thing he saw was some film on the pan, everything else he could see looked ok. I drove it about 20 miles, stopped at 10 stop signs and or lights, sat in a couple of parking lots with the brake on while in gear. Nothing.

I will let you know how long this lasts.

Reply to
tailspin

The most likely thing that would cause that is the torque converter lock-up mechanism engaging.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I agree. The big question is, why is the lock-up mechanism engaging while sitting still? I live close to Dearborn and I couldn't get an answer from engineers or shop guys that work at Ford. I put 70 miles on it today and no problem. Fingers are crossed.

Reply to
tailspin

Isn't that an electric lockup?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Conolly

Yes it is, or at least you can turn it off with the switch on the end of the gearshift. It was ( I hope was ) an intermittent problem, which of course is the hardest to deal with and convince the mechanic that something is wrong.

Another weird one today. I go to Autozone for a thermostat, try to put it in and it doesn't sit right with the goose neck. I take it back, I watch the guy and he taps the numbers in the computer and it is what they call for. I ask if he has any other brands. He says no but tells me to look at one for a 95 Ranger ( mine is a 99). It looked close and compared it to what I took out and tried it. It works. Go figure.

Reply to
tailspin

You can't turn off the torque convertor lock up. The thing you're describing is the overdrive lock out (aka the trans won't go into 4th gear)

(Suzuki Z400 page) If you're going to ridicule my post, please do it publicly and stop privately e-mailing me.

Reply to
C-squared