Keys

I just bought a 2001 F-150 with the passive anti theft key. I only received one key with it. Where can I get additional keys made and programmed? Dealer wants $20.00 for the key and $37.50 to program it. Another $37.00 for additional keyless entry transmitter.

Thanks

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Damn, that's cheap! I've heard my friendly and knowledgeable (sneer!!) local dealer supposedly charges $115 total for each key. According to the owner's manual for my Escape, you need 2 keys to program a

3rd. Whether or not you could use the one key twice, I don't know, but I would guess not. Briefly, it says to put one key in, turn to accessory, turn off, replace with 2nd key within 10 seconds, turn to ACC then off, replace with new unprogrammed key, and turn to ACC then off again. I admit I haven't tried it yet, although I probably should get a 3rd key before I loose one of the ones I have. Tom F.

Reply to
Tom F.

Because you have only one key, I think you are stuck with having the dealer get you a new one. Once you have 2, you can just buy the key and program new ones yourself.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

I was wondering about that myself a while back and I found this website. You might be able to program that extra key using only the one that you have. It is worth buying the key and trying it in the parking lot of the dealership. You can always take it back in and get them to program it if it doesn't work. Website and excerpt is below:

Program a new Ford PATS Key

If you want to add a key....

  1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.
  2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.
  3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).
  4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.
  5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Okay, I was wrong. I just re-read this and it does take two keys for you truck, and mine. 98's can get away with using one. Sorry, false alarm

Stephen---> move al> Marl>

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks to those who replied. Good info.

Reply to
Chuck

Just got back from the dealer. Total cost was $60.00 and 45 minutes of my time waiting. Not bad from what you folks have told me.

Reply to
Chuck