Mileage question 6.0 Ltr Turbo Diesel

I just bought a 2005 f250 crew cab 4x4 super duty. I was told to expect 18-24 miles to the gallon, but am averaging around 15. Anybody out there doing any better? What adjustments need to be made?

Bud To those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will ever know. Anonymously scrawled on a bunker at Khe Sahn, RVN.

Reply to
Budroe

I'd suggest switching to imperial gallons, they're bigger. Seriously, though, I'd be surprised if the 24 was ever reachable, and the 18 may be reachable after break in on the highway without a headwind.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I have the same truck in a 2000 with the 7.3 and manual transmission, I get 16 around town and the best I have gotten is 18.5 on the highway.

Reply to
Martin Rogoff

I bought a 2003 f250 6.0L diesel 2 months ago. This is my first truck and it's a trip. Anyway, going 70 mph, no load, the trip computer shows 21 mpg. Going around town with stop and go I get 16 mpg. With a lot of stop and go I get down to 1.5 mpg.

While pulling a 20' boat from San Jose to Tahoe (0 to 6000' altitude) I get about 14 mpg.

Shabtai

Budroe wrote:

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

snip I have a F350 Dualie with 4.10 gears. I can get 19-20 mpg if I am real careful with the throttle and stay right around 55-60 mph on mostly level terrain. I suspect that the 21-23 mpg is possible with you 3.73 gears and single rear axle. It seemed to tak about 8,000 miles to get the engine broken in and best mileage.

Reply to
wcrbudox

Anybody

The 6.0 does not have the reputation for good fuel mileage that the Cummins and Dmax does. Because of its design, it never will. Some do okay but while a Chevy dealers around here will admit that a Cummins will do about as well as their Dmax on fuel (Dodge dealers will say likewise) they both agree that the 6.0 cannot touch them in fuel comsumption or noise. Ford is slated to retire the 6.0 in the next year or two. They have not been happy with it.

Reply to
SnoMan

I still think the 7.3 is a better engine over all than 6.0 and better for MPG too. Ford runns a lot of boost on the 6.0 and reduced CR ratio slightly to accomidate this which reduces thremodynamic efficency some which equals lower MPG and higher average fuel consumption vs the 7.3

Reply to
SnoMan

Consider yourself lucky because yours is the exception not the rule because I have talked to many that are quite dissapointed with the 6.0 mileage. Also I can get 19 @ 65 with AC on in a 16 year old 4x4 burb and I imagine over 20 at 55 and my 2000 K3500 gas with do about 17 or so at 65 and like much better at 55 but I would rather go a bit faster than 55 so what is really gained here when you factor in cost and fuel cost? A few weeks ago I haul a fullsized 4x4 on a trailer in 95 degree heat running 70 to 75 MPH and got around 11 MPG with AC chilling and the engine never breaking a sweat tempature wise. To me deisels just do not make sense at current prices for its option and more expensive fuel too. They made more sense when they were a 2000 dollar option and fuel cost less than gas but those days are gone.

Reply to
SnoMan

2005 F350, Powerstroke, 4300 miles. 15-16 mpg "around town", 18-19 mpg at 65-70 mph highway. 11 mpg or so towing 12,500 lb fifth wheel in "tow/haul" mode at 60-65 mph. This truck is a Harley edition with 20" wheels.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

With a mix of city and highway driving, but not towing anything other than a small flatbed trailer from time to time, I average 16-17 in my '05 F350 dually extended cab. And I have a pretty light foot.

Reply to
Frank L.

Man, you guys are makin' me sick. I get a whopping 9 MPG in my 6.8l gasser F350... hehehe

Reply to
invalid unparseable