Re: Selling to W Africa is a scam?

They way I understand the scam, they will send you a cashier's check for the amount. Your bank will honor the check, but then several weeks later, the bank in Africa will refuse payment, and your bank will then decrement your account accordingly.

Reply to
Ken Finney

I have an ad in my local paper, called the Recycler, to sell my '96

>Windstar. I got a response from someone in West Africa. Is it for real or >a scam? It is shown below. >your thoughts appreciated. > >"My name is Mark Nelly, i am Located in West Africa, I'm interested in >buying > your 1996 Ford Windstar for one of my clients and I have a shipping agent >that use > to ship the items that I bought from U.S so don't bother yourself about the >shipping > and the titles, my shipping agent will take good care of that. I want this >1996 Ford > Windstar delivered to my client as soon as possible so I'll call my client >in U.s to > send a certified cheque to you soon. I want to know why you want to sell >it, also i > want you to send your bottom price along with the picture and brief me a >little > concerning the present condition. > Waiting for your immediate response.. > Regards > Mark " > >

It's a well documented scam. The "certified checques" are forgeries.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

Another variation is that they over pay on either the purchase price or the shipping costs back to Africa, you being the honest soul that you are send them a real certified check for the overpayment, now they have your car, some of your money and your bank account gets docked docked accordingly.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

If anyone from any where in Africa contacts you with a business proposal of any kind, beware! In every case it's a scam. Period!

Reply to
Reece Talley