steering gear question

I have a 1995 f150 that has play in the steering i am not sure how much is normal at the steering box. Can I adjust it without removing the pitman arm? I know of the locknut/skrew on top but I don't know whats good and whats not. Also the power steering pump is louder than my bronco II. How much play right to left is normal?

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Almost imperceptible side to side play is what you want, it should just twist.

That shaft coming out of the steering gear is called the sector shaft. The adjustment is the "sector shaft end play adjustment".

Get yourself a big piece of cardboard from Costco;) and get under there and feel the junction where the steering gear and pitman come together while someone rocks the steering wheel back and forth.

Somehow I can't believe you have play there! Hasn't friggin ford fixed that yet? :(

-----

The older ones like mine ('75) didn't have a bearing in them they just used the cast housing and they are loose as a goose. :/ Their "fix" for it sucks donkey dick too. :(

If you (they) still have that problem I got a real fix for it! :) Line-bore the steering gear and install bushings and ream to size. Only hold up was Ford stopped selling the bushings but I found some on the internet. A shop that used to do that work was out of business until I showed up and gave them my invoice.

Those guys with their homemade line boring fixture fixed my steering gear up -better- than new! :)

------

But that's prob'ly not what your poblem is. :/

Feel of everything while someone rocks the steering wheel for you and find what's loose and fix it.

If the steering gear's sector shaft end-play adjustment is really the problem the steering wheel can move a certain amount and there will be no movement at the pitman arm. That particular play has a very loose feel to it, all its own. You get familiar with your truck and you'll know as much as anybody. All it takes is time and thought, the whole thing is there to see and feel.

The steering gear's sector shaft end-play adjustment can screw up the steering gear if over done. ...but -no- you don't have to remove the pitman arm to adjust it. Just don't over do it ok? :)

Do -yourself- a favor, get a factory service manual for it. :) Not planning to keep it? Use the manual as a selling tool? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj