Transmission problems on a '98

4.6 V8, 4 speed auto...

The transmission won't shift from second to third when engine is cold first thing in the morning. The only way I can get it to shift is to take my foot off the gas and it will drop back into third. Later in the day, if I cold start, I don't have this shift problem. It is only first thing in the morning.

Also, after driving about five miles, any time during the day, the "Overdrive Off" light on the gearshift will constantly flash on and off. It doesn't stay continuously lit, like it would if the overdrive were normally shut off.

While this is happeneing, if I push the Overdrive Off/On button, it feels like the truck is still kicking in and out of overdrive normally.

If I stop the truck and turn off the ignition, then restart it, the Overdrive Off" light stays off until I drive about five miles again, and then it comes on again...

The local Ford dealership charged me $95 for a diagnosis and told me that "a little hydraulic piston inside the transmission is cracked. That'll be $2950 for a rebuilt transmission." to which I said "Later, guys". Looking for a good transmission shop now - we have just moved to this area and are still dealing with moving expenses - but I was wondering if any of you have had these symptoms yourselves and what they might indicate...

Thanks, W

Reply to
walt_wankel

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:04:55 -0700, walt_wankel rearranged some electrons to form:

The flashing O/D light indicates an error code has been set. Have it read out by a transmission shop.

Reply to
David M

Have been having similiar problems with 94 F150 transmission .Had the transmission flushed .shifts ok except in the mornings,Ford dealer says need to replace piston in transmission. Am interested in how you resolved your problem. thanks hlb

Reply to
HL B123