What's the difference in parts?

So I need to buy a Fuel Pressure Regulator for my 92 Ranger...Pepboys and various other parts stores want $18-$25 for it whereas Ford wants around $90...is there really that much of a difference in quality? I know parts directly from the dealer are more expensive, but that is quite a jump. Is the BWD regulator at pepboys that will cost me $20 shit or something?

Thanks

Reply to
Smith

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 02:43:35 -0400, Smith rearranged some electrons to say:

It's probably made in China. It's up to you to decide if that means it's "shit" or not.

Reply to
david

The one from Ford is probably made in Mexico. The auto parts store regulator is probably made in China. Which is better? Personally I have had Chinese parts hold up quite well. In some cases there is a significant difference in quality--my original heater core ('91 Explorer) was aluminum and the cheap after-market part has brass tubes etc. which could possibly lead to early failure due to electrolytic reduction. But then I prefer to pay $18 instead of $80 to repair a 19-year-old car because it may decide to expire at any moment.

I have been instructed by my brother-in-law-mechanic to buy only Ford oil seals--apparently there is a difference there.

Reply to
Ulysses

I don't know who BWD is, but if I was buying parts, I'd have no problem with Bosch or MotorCraft or any of the other major brands. If BWD is a major brand, then the regulator should be okay.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Seldom/never does the manufacturer of the car actually build all parts. Usually they go to an independent jobber and spec out the parts. Often the two parts are made in the same factory, by the same jobber.

The blue ink on the box is very expensive.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Thanks for all the replys guys, I was just wondering as the gap was so huge, usually it's a bit closer, I spent $30 and got my fuel pump relay and pressure regulator. And I'll remember the oil seal thing, thanks.

I actually went to the BWD site, the fuel parts are manufactured in South Caronlina, they only have one factory in China, the majority are actually in the United States...never would have guessed that. If these turn out okay I think I'll stick with the company.

Smith

Reply to
Smith

Sometimes you buy an aftermarket part and its the same ford part with Ford name ground off. Ive bought a few distributor modules that had the name Ford ground off.

Reply to
None4U