01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Threaded View
Anyone ever replace the right side (rear) exhaust manifold on a 2001
Impala?  I just looked at the procedure from GM, and one of the steps
says to "Rotate the engine to access the right side of the engine."

Exactly WHAT does that mean, and how is it accomplished?  It says
nothing about what to remove, how to do it, nothing.   Is this a major
operation that they just leave out because it would take 200 steps??

Any help/tips on how to do it would be appreciated.

Re: 01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Check the FSM because it might be in a "Common Procedures" section.
FWIW this reminds me of a 197x Lancia my brother in law owned.
He broke a fan belt and when he went to replace it the book said it could
be done two different ways.

1. Remove the engine.
2. Remove the body.

Note: It is generally easier to remove the body.

I wish I had kept a copy of that manual!!!

Hopefully the Impala is easier :)
Charlie

Re: 01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement

If it's anything like earlier W-Bodies there are a couple engine mounts that
you undo, put the tranny in neutral (I think) and just rotate the engine.

Re: 01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement
If it has the two torque struts at the top front:

At the radiator support, to the top of the engine, remove the bolts to
those, there usually two extra bolt holes to hold the motor forward, in
park, if you push the car backwards, the engine will move forward.

You put the bolts in the torque strut, in the rubber end in one end, then in
the eyelet in the other end to hold the motor forward.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Re: 01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement
THE WORST CASE SENARIO IS THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE A MOTOR MOUNT,
DISCONNECT THE DRIVELINE AND REMOVE IT, UNBOLT TRANSMISSION MOUNT
BRACKET AND JACK UP THE ENGINE.

Thank-you,
                  Don

Re: 01 Impala - Right Side (Back) Exhaust Manifold Replacement
Why are you replacing it? If it cracked or is leaking, just take it to the
dealer and they will have to change it under the 80,000 mile emissions
warranty.

Site Timeline