1987 Olds Cutlass with 40,000 miles headliner falling

I understand this is a GM thing that happens to chevys, olds, pontiacs and buicks?? anyone know of a FIX??
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.gm /
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Nope. take it to a trim shop they can probably replace for less than $150. Any attempt to glue it up is doomed to failure if it's the mouse fur over foam material that I'm thinking of; the foam itself has disintegrated, you must replace the material. VW used this material for a few years as well, it sucked on their cars too. I replaced the headliner in my '84 GTI with simple black sheet vinyl, looked way better than red mouse fur ever did and was easy to clean, didn't trap odors, etc. - just another thought. If you go down that road remove the headliner shell from the car, remove all traces of old crumbling foam, and use a good quality spray adhesive or contact cement to hold the material in place. If you have a good fabric store they may even stock headliner material if you feel ambitious.
good luck
nate
the headliner itself still looks great, always been in the garage, so far I have been able to stick a few hundred thumbtacks in it!
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.gm / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
In agreement with what Nate said. I replaced the headliner in my Bonneville ( in 2003) with one from JoAnne Fabric's. The light grey color was almost a 100 % match to the original.
What happens is the foam turns to dust and that is why the headliner material sags down.
Also don't forget about the side trim panels on the roof quarter, those are covered with the same material --and maybe your sunvisor are too.
3M Super Trim Adhesive (for headliners ) worked great, but you need about 4 cans, minimum.
Good Luck
harryface 91 Bonneville 310,483 05 Park Avenue 63,343
Our 90 Cavalier 2dr started sagging on my head. Took it to a shop gave them $150, They also did the visors.
Now the 89 Cavalier wagon is sagging, the visors need to be done to. They said $220 on the wagon. It is worth the money because the visors have to be GLUED and SEWN. Hope the info helps.
We live in NC so the cars do not rust. So if they both last another 18 years that will get us through. Maybe a lottery win is in the cards, then we can hire a driver with his own car that also has a sagging headliner. Should have purchased a Yugo.
Warren
warrenry wrote:

Or a Toyota/Honda.

Any attempt to glue is doom to failure is true. I used a staple gun and put a staple about every 10 inches or so. It kept the headliner out the way for good.
In the past I have acquired these fasteners with a clear, thumbtack-sized head on them and a sharp corkscrew type shank which was intended for sagging headliners, came about 15 in a package, they never came loose and didn't even look that bad. The edges of the head were splined so you could easily screw them in with your fingers, took about 5 minutes to do, worked on an otherwise pretty decent 82 Regal I once had, looked good enough to leave it at that. Don't know if they're available anymore as I haven't seen them in awhile, but haven't looked for them either. But if the vehicle is a really nice one the other suggestions might be better for you.