1992 Grand Am Won't Start

I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am, SE, 2.3L , 4cyl, OHC. A couple days ago while driving, my car suddenly stalled and the service engine light came on. After waiting a few minutes I tried to start it again and it worked. This
happened again two more times. This morning, when going to start the car, it started for 2 seconds then died. Now, when I try to start it, it cranks, but will not start. I have tried replacing the fuel filter and the spark plugs, but it still won't start. While I had the fuel filter off, I turned the key (to make sure the fuel pump was working) and it pumped fuel fine.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks
Well, you either have no fuel, no spark, or no compression. The latter is unlikely if you got it to start again after it died. Therefore, either fuel or spark. The logical next step would be to check for spark - unfortunately that's not that simple on a Quad 4 with no spark plug wires..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Find the pink wire in the ignition module harness. attach a test light to it (you will have to scrape some insulation off it) and ground the lite. Turn on the ignition. If the light lights up then check your crank shaft sensor (use an ohm meter) you should have about 600-700 ohms. If not then change the sensor. If the test lite works and the crank sensor is with in normal range then that means the ignition module is shot. If the test light does not come on then that means that there is trouble in the wiring or the fuse has popped. Email me if you have any more questions steve