1995 Buick Regal - 3,8L Help

My 3.8L Regal is a cross between and OBDI and OBDII. I've been told that I can't pull the codes. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 cranks to start. The check
engine light comes on and will stay on until I turn the car off and restart. I would rather not take the care in to Buick and have the codes pulled.......I would like to replace the suspect part myself. Any suggestions on what parts to replace and/or parts to clean, to see if I can make the problem go away. Can I pull the codes by shorting 2 leads on the underdash connector? I'm fearful that I will damage the ignition control system.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you, Joe
No suggestions without the codes. You could try someplace that offers to read them for free such as Auto Zone.
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't been able to find a place that can read the codes, since my system is not an ODBII or OBDI.. The dealer can read it, but I'd rather not take it there.

Any shop that has a Snap On MT200, a OTC/SPX Pathfinder 2000, or other OBDI & OBD II Capable OBD read out and interface, can check them. Expect to payt for it if you do not uae a shop on a regular basis.
BTW I am parting out a 95 Regal if you need any parts. Charles
Dealer can read it for about 50 bucks. Autozone will most likely not have the correct unit to read the code. You have an OBDI system but it has the OBDII type connector. I bought an Actron scan tool that works with OBDI and purchased a cable that fits the OBDII type connector. Works great.

check
restart.
can