2000 Seville STS

I have a chance to get a great price on a 2000 Seville STS with 48000 miles. What are you guys thoughts on this model? Wasn?t this the first year the motor was redone? Wasn?t there problems with that?

Reply to
LeBuick

We do run into oil consumption problems on these engines. Usually we do decarbonisation procedures in some vague attempt to "unstick" the piston rings....but it rarely seems to work. We end up re-ringing the engine with a different design piston ring (second compression ring) that seems to control the oil usage.

Great engine though. The whole car is a pretty nice car. Expensive to fix and difficult to work on for the un-initiated.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai1" wrote: > LeBuick wrote: > > > I have a chance to get a great price on a 2000 Seville STS > with 48000 > > miles. What are you guys thoughts on this model? Wasn't this > the first > > year the motor was redone? Wasn't there problems with that? > > We do run into oil consumption problems on these engines. > Usually > we do decarbonisation procedures in some vague attempt to > "unstick" the piston rings....but it rarely seems to work. We > end > up re-ringing the engine with a different design piston ring > (second > compression ring) that seems to control the oil usage. > > Great engine though. The whole car is a pretty nice car. > Expensive > to fix and difficult to work on for the un-initiated. > > Ian

Whoa, that ring thing sound llike you have to get the engine rebuilt. I read one review where a guys said he goes through a qt every 2k or

3k miles. I guess that would suck for a fairly new caddy.

I also found some review where people said you have to get special tires for these cars or you will get a vibration at high speeds. What?s up with that? i have a new set of Yokohama Avid H4s that I planned to move from my Buick Lesabre to the new car. Will these tires work ok?

Reply to
LeBuick

Well, not "rebuilt". We just go in and replace the rings. And if you go thru a quart every 2-3K miles....that is excellent oil usage for this engine. There are a couple of mistake that people make when driving these cars, one....they don't drive them hard enough...it's a

300 hp engine that needs to be driven like you stole it. Two.....the oil level needs to be checked "hot" and after sitting for 2-3 minutes. This engine has about 8 quarts of oil in total sitting in the engine, there is a lot of expansion of the oil between cold and hot and if you overfill the engine even a bit, it burns it off quickly. So.....people often check it when cold, fill it to the top of the hash marks and then it burns off the excess and they believe that they are using oil. It's better to check the oil level as I described and even then, just keep the level halfway in the hash marks on the dipstick.

We do have vibration issues with this car. We have a special tire balancing machine that measures "road force" not just static and dynamic balance of the tire. Road force means how many lbs of force the tire exerts on the road at any given point around the circumference of the tire. You would not believe how much road force a perfectly good looking tire, that balances up well, will exert. This give you the vibration. GM's fix for this is to selectively "grind" off parts of the tread at the high "road force" area of the tire. That's if it's really bad.....usually you can get the road force within specs by rotating the tire on the rim.

Personally, from what I've seen on the balance machine....Michelin tires are the best.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai1" wrote: > LeBuick wrote: > > Personally, from what I?ve seen on the balance > machine....Michelin tires > are the best. > > Ian

I had just put a brand new set of Michelin?s on my wifes 98 Aurora, two months before she totaled it. This was back in Feb. or Mar.. I argued with the insurance company but they wouldn?t budge, either I bought the entire car back or I could only get my personals... These Yokohama?s I just bought for my buick are SUPPOSE to be comprable to the Michelin except quiter. BIG difference from those American Generals. I?ve had the buick up over 100mph and no vibration but it also doesn?t hug the road very well. I think the struts are bad but it only has 34K miles. The car is hard on bumps, no plush feel like a Buick Lesabre should have.

Reply to
LeBuick

"LeBuick" wrote: > [quote:5cf38c351d="shiden_kai1"]LeBuick wrote: > > Personally, from what I've seen on the balance > machine....Michelin tires > are the best. > > Ian[/quote:5cf38c351d] > > I had just put a brand new set of Michelin's on my wifes 98 > Aurora, two months before she totaled it. This was back in > Feb. or Mar.. I argued with the insurance company but they > wouldn't budge, either I bought the entire car back or I could > only get my personals... These Yokohama's I just bought for my > buick are SUPPOSE to be comprable to the Michelin except > quiter. BIG difference from those American Generals. I've had > the buick up over 100mph and no vibration but it also doesn't > hug the road very well. I think the struts are bad but it only > has 34K miles. The car is hard on bumps, no plush feel like a > Buick Lesabre should have.

I?m not going to get the caddy, my wife reminded me that it cost to be a caddy owner. I drove the car most of Saturday and what a dream of a car it was. Mesagging seats, power under the hood and a ride like I wished my Buick had. What a great car!

Reply to
LeBuick