2000 Sunfire CD Player Blues

Hey Guys:
My daughter's 2000 Sunfire CD player's got the blues. I won't play a great deal of the time. Doesn't recognize a CD in player. These are produced
CD's - not burnt ones done at home. Other times it will play them fine. Same CD.
We've run a "CD Cleaner" (yeah, right...) through it a few times to no avail. My left brain says it's got to be a dust issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has played around with cleaning players in a way better than the cleaner CD's.
Or perhaps... other suggestions?
Thx,
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

great
if
I'd just find a nice aftermarket deck with a removable face to install, the factory CD players are expensive to replace from the dealership, and if you buy a recycled one, the same problem will just pop up again.

You could get a factory CD player off of Ebay pretty cheap. Maybe $60 to $70, cheaper than an aftermarket one, plus installation will be super easy -- couple of screws, and then plugging in a harness and an antenna jack. GM usually puts the same audio equipment in about 20 different cars across their model lines, so finding one should be a snap. Chances are that the factory CD player you replace it with will last for years. Hers may just be a dud. That happens a lot with electronics -- usually 5% or so are duds.
-

Ditto on excellent info from JD. I'd like to add, that for a few bucks more, you can buy a used factory cd which also has MP3 playing capabilities. I bought one on Ebay, by comparing the wire-plug-in receptacles and mounting brackets on the Pontiac radio(of some model: may have been a 2000?Grand Am?) with my 2003 GMC Sonoma (like a Chevy S10). Bolted right in, hooked right up to my wiring, and looks stock to me and to a thief trying to steal after-market sounds. Cost including shipping was like $91. One of my MP3 discs, burned on my home computer, has like 271 songs on it! So, who needs a changer? Just waiting to get one that plays DVD's--2500+ songs on one d/l disc! Luck to you & HTH. s

Look at this one--no, not mine! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Grand-AM-Sunfire-CD-MP3-Radio-Monsoon_W0QQitemZ8022538605QQcategoryZ43947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

super
Chances
bucks
right
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Grand-AM-Sunfire-CD-MP3-Radio-Monsoon_W0QQitemZ8022538605QQcategoryZ43947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hey, thanks. I believe we've found a path to success.