2006 Chevy Malibu bad brakes...

2006 Chev Malibu LT with 1,267 kms. That's one thousand two hundred and sixty-seven kilometers. Over the weekend at highway speed (~100km/h), noticed severe pulsation front driverside. Took it into
the shop and they TURNED THE FLIPPIN' ROTORS. After 1,200 kms, the rotors required machining???
The car's being driven by a woman in her 50s for intra-city driving with the occasional weekend "long-drive'.
Anyone have a similar experience?
Lease is 2 months old. Is there a lemon clause associated with Chevy leases? Can she get out?
TIA! (email appreciated). Darryl.
If this car sat in a dealer lot for a long time before being sold, (look at the production date on the door vin tag), rust can form on the rotors and permanently pit them, this is not uncommon under these circumstances.

-
Thanks to everyone for their replies. The car was assembled 05/2006 and driven off the lot 09/2006. Admittedly, hinting at Lemon laws was jumping the gun, but I agree that simply turning the rotors is not acceptable unless they guarantee free brakes if they have to be changed earlier than what could be expected with "normal" usage. She drove her Cavalier 50k with the same rotors, changing the pads one time.

Darryl wrote:

I agree that new rotors would be preferred, but nearly all auto manufacturers will only pay for turning in that situation.
Not long ago I helped a friend replace the rotors on his 2005 Impala. By 30k miles they vibrated horribly. I'm no fan of turning rotors, as many times the problem comes back. We put new Wagner premium rotors on his car at all four corners and it once again stops like a car should.
John

Your best bet is to see if the problem recurrs after turning the rotors. This is not a usual occurance.

Lemon laws are just that - laws. Check with your local authorities. IMHO, you're jumping the gun though. Why not let the dealer honor the warranty? You have to give the folks a chance before you go to jumping all over Lemon Laws and getting out of leases. My guess is you have no grounds to get out of the lease at this point.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Unusual? Yes. Lemon? Probably not. Evidently rotors were either defective or damaged in some way. IMO, they should have replaced, not turned them. Rotors today are rather prone to warping and often cannot be turned. I've had the rotors on my LeSabre replaced twice because of warping. If the problem comes back, they will have to replace the rotors as there will not be enough meat to cut them again.
Rotors is just one of the many reasons I did not buy a GM car last month.
Darryl wrote:

This is not an unheard of problem. If the vibration comes back in a short time then insist on new rotors. Otherwise the turning has probably fixed the problem. Lots of GM vehicles spend a very long time waiting to be bought from the time they leave the factory to the time they find a home. Accumulated rust on the rotors in that time can cause problems.
Hardly worthy of declaring the car a lemon.
John
<Snip to the nonsense>

Yes, and Toyota's go straight from the factory to someone's drive-way. John, you are in idiot.
80 Knight wrote:

Actually I believe that American brands traditionally have had and still have many more days of inventory than the Japanese brands, and more than their managers would like, as well, which is to what I assume John was alluding.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Perhaps, but having read John's other post's, I think he was just trolling again.
wrote in message

Does anyone have any "facts" to back up their position? I do know that Chrysler is loaded with inventory. I do know that one Buick I was interested in was manufactured 6 months prior. I do know that a local Honda dealer had no Civics on the lot because they were all sold before hitting the dealer lot (but he did have a bunch of Accords). In any case, there are a lot of cars sitting around. I found no information on the Japanese brands.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/FREE/60925002&Profile 41 Glut Threatens Chrysler's '07s
Group 1 Automotive Inc. in Houston, which owns 28 Chrysler group franchises, is watching its purchases of 2007s, says Randy Callison, Group 1's senior vice president for operations and corporate development. Inventories of Chrysler vehicles are above 75 days, the Group 1 target for domestic brands
Last week, Zetsche and Chrysler group CEO Tom LaSorda accepted blame for not curtailing production when it became evident that sales were falling. But the Chrysler group's inventory has been swollen since late last year. The company paid dealers as much as $750 per unit to take extra stock after its supply reached 92 days Dec. 1.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061025/earns_gm.html?.v  GM said its inventory as of Sept. 30 was around 1 million vehicles, about normal compared to previous years. Although the number of full-sized sport utility vehicles was higher than expected, Paul Ballew, GM's executive director of global market and industry analysis, said the inventory won't drag down future earnings.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/ford_cutbacks.html Ford had about 652,000 vehicles in its inventory as of September 30 and has struggled to sell its trucks and SUVs even at at deep discounts and cut into profits.

I think a lot depends on location. I live around 20 minuites from the Oshawa, Ontario plant, so GM is hugley popular. In my town, I rarley see the same car for very long at the Pontiac dealership. I can't really speak for the Toyota dealership, because it is hidden away so to speak.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/FREE/60925002&Profile 41
wrote in message

What brands do you see in the parking lot at the plant?

I live near the plant that makes Chevy Cobalts and the Pontiac equivalent (they used to make Cavaliers/Sunfires). Most of the cars in the lot are Cavaliers/Sunfires/Cobalts or other GM cars/trucks, with a few other domestic makes thrown in. I don't think anyone would have the balls to drive a foreign car to work at a USA auto plant.
-
- Remove SPMASUCKS To Reply>

Pretty much the same as 'Grappletech' said. Mostly GM cars. An older Chrysler here and there, but mostly GM. I don't work at the plant, so I don't pass it on a daily basis, but I don't recall seeing any foreign cars on the lot's. Same with another thing 'Grappletech' said. Most people around here either respect GM (as the company who pays the bills) or don't have the balls to drive a foreign car onto the GM lot.

I agreed it's probably from sitting on the lot. When I first picked up my 2002 Monte Carlo, it sat in the driveway for about 3 months, under a car cover. Bt the time spring time and I took the car on the road,
the left front rotor was useless.
Peter