4x4 power Question

I have an 89 with a plow on it. I loose all the power steering assist when stopped. I think the box is tired, I have installed a new pump. Are there any suggestions other than the obvious?
Thanks in advance, Jerry
I would think the p/s pump it's self could be working too hard.
I have heard of installing a cooler for the power steering system to help with this. Basically you run the return line through a cooler (like a tranny cooler).
Of course, now that you have this problem, a cooler might not help. It sounds like your pump is just plain worn out.

the extra weight of the plow can made it a little harder to steer, but mine still works ok, maybe a little stiffer with my plow on... if you rev it a little in park/neutral, will the power steering work then???what kind of belt runs the power steering pump??? is it tight??did you purge the air out of the system?? do you hear a loud whining from the pump??

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080209060809020308090609 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thanks for the responses. I had the problem so I replaced the pump a few months ago, cheapest and easiest. It's a serpentine set up so I'm not concerned about slippage, tensioner is fine. New belt too. It happens when the truck is stone cold, and or hot. It does not happen all the time. Ran fine yesterday, plowed fine, not a problem. I love these types of problems. Thanks again
Bobo wrote:

--------------080209060809020308090609--
Sounds like all the avenues have been checked .any chance you or a friend has a really high pressure gauge and a setup to hook into the high side line???Other than a problem internally, like in the spool valve, mabye there is an actual binding concern in the steering linkage that is aggravated when the plow is lifted and the suspension squashed.. can you put in on an allignment rack, or something of that nature that lets you go under and watch the steering linkages move??? Bobo
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I have an 89 with a plow on it. I loose all the power steering assist when stopped. I think the box is tired, I have installed a new pump. Are there any suggestions other than the obvious? Thanks in advance, Jerry
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""> </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I had the problem so I replaced the pump a few months ago, cheapest and

tensioner is fine. New belt too.

the time. >Ran fine yesterday, plowed fine, not a problem. I love these types of problems.

With a plow on there, a little extra air in the front tires wouldn't hurt. Just don't go over the max pressure on the sidewall. Also, narrow tires will turn easier than wide tires.
Dave
My '90 has a power steering cooler on it. It is nothing more than a few loops of tubing attached to the bottom of the cross-member under the radiator. But, I agree, you may have fried your pump.