All it takes is Will Power

wins the final CART/Champ Car race. It was held at Long Beach, the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Next year the race will be run by IndyCar, which will fold in the Champ Car series.

After 35 years, CART finally dies. Indy Car is good, but the real money and raw power was in CART.

Reply to
hachiroku

CART and Indy Car have merged, so it a misnomer to say that CART has died. The name has died because IndyCar is more descriptive of the races and less confusing to the public (who were screwed when IndyCar split from CART in

1996).
Reply to
Mark A

Wanna qualify that statement? How was the public screwed?

I had some heartburn with Tony George (I'm taking my racetrack and going home!) but, after the first few races realized that with similar specs for all the cars, the racing really came down to the driver's ability. Even more so now, since all the powerplants are supplied by Honda.

CART, however, remained the Proving Ground for racing; the down side being the more money a team could throw at the technology (Penske) the more wins they could get. Even Penske, a bitter rival of George, caved and joined the IRL within a couple years. But the real development stayed with CHAMP CAR.

Also, IRL was oval courses, and CHAMP was road courses.

Reply to
hachiroku