'93 Jimmy belt tensioner release

I need to change my drive belt. It is squeaking and showing signs of wear.

Here is a picture of the tensioner:

The best instructions I can find are "put a breaker bar with a socket on the tensioner bolt, and turn clockwise."

Very well, but is it the top bolt, or the one below on the pulley?

Thanks for any help..

Reply to
Conan Ford

The one that's ON the pully. The "top" bolt hold the tensioner on the engine.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"Steve Mackie" wrote in news:%HPdf.123723 $ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Thank you for the clarification. The Haynes manual I have makes no attempt to differentiate. As someone pointed out to me on another forum, turning the top bolt could cause the tensioner spring to pop out.

Reply to
Conan Ford

No. The "top" bolt just holds the tensioner onto the engine. You will find that you won't be able to even turn it clockwise, unless of course you use too much force, then the bolt will snap. Turn it counterclockwise and you will simply remove the bolt and the tensioner from the engine, no fear of the spring "popping out." Unless the tensioner is physically damaged in some way.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie