95 Cavalier sputtering

I have a 95 cavalier w/ the 2.3 quad 4 motor. When it sits for a while, 8 hours or longer, when I start it, it sputters for a few minutes and blows smoke for a while. Any ideas?

Reply to
John
95 Cavalier sputtering Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, May 28, 2005, 8:58am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (John) I have a 95 cavalier w/ the 2.3 quad 4 motor. When it sits for a while, 8 hours or longer, when I start it, it sputters for a few minutes and blows smoke for a while. Any ideas?

What color is the smoke? Could be bad valve seals ...While it sits oil is seeping down into the cylinders ...Once you start it its burning the oil and the smoke stops once its gone...Are you losing alot of oil? S Cook

Reply to
Steve Cook

no, not losing alot of oil. The smoke goes away when its warm. What about the sputtering? Coil Packs?

Reply to
John
8 hours or longer, when I start it, it sputters for a few minutes and blows smoke for a while. Any ideas?
Reply to
Steve Cook

The plugs are not fouled. Where are the coils on this and are they hard to change?

Reply to
John
8 hours or longer, when I start it, it sputters for a few minutes and blows smoke for a while. Any ideas?

nope just remove the throttle cables from the throttlebody...Next unscrew the 4 13mm bolts that hold down the plate then unhppk the connector on the right side of the plate then just pull it up...While your at it Id replace the boots also...The coil pack just screws onto te plate... S Cook

Reply to
Steve Cook

Also Id consider a injection service this also could help with the putter...

Reply to
Steve Cook

actually you dont need to move the throttle cable, i have a 96 z24, same problem, kinda, mine would sputter all the time, then I replaced the coil, took about 15 minutes

Reply to
montana