Upper Intake Manifold Plenum - R & R

Finished replacing the upper intake plenum...which had a coolent leak and the lower intake manifold gasket.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped me out with information including Shep, for recommending autozone.com and jgalianojr....

Also to Dan Brow for helping me locate a factory service manual, which was a tremendous asset !!!

Took me the better part of a day...replacing both the upper plenum and also the lower intake manifold gaskets. Still not bad for a novice considering several parts run for items that needed replacing. With the knowledge I could do the upper plenum alone in about 4 hours.

Some notes..

I used an OBDI scanner and noted all values before starting.

Kept a video camera around and took pictures on how things were originally positioned.

Was easy to do once I started. Guess I was reluctant because the job seemed complex but everything was pretty straightforward.

Upper Manifold Intake Plenum from dealer was $300.00. Gasket Set was another 35.00 and then the "O" rings for the fuel injectors cost another $10.

This was a 1994 Vin L . Dorman replacements start at 1996 and the egr valve mod kit is for VIN K engines 1996 and above.

I noticed that on the 1994....VIN L 3800 there doesn't seem to be an EGR value extending from the lower into the upper. However the upper plenum did have a pretty fair sized leak when tested with a pressure tester.. I'm assuming it was cracked somewhere internally and I couldn't find any external cracks.

I couldn't get one quick disconnect fuel line fitting off, no matter which tools I tried....but was able to twist the fuel rail out of the way.

All in all, it was a ??? fun ??? learning experience...I wouldn't hesitate to do it again !!!

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

aarcuda69062

Check with GM. I got a notice they would pay for part of my expenses to have one replaced on my 99 buick park avenue. Have had it done twice now. Am on the road and didn't have time to contact them before I left.

Mike

Reply to
RN