97 Monte Carlo transmission jerks

I have a 97 Monte Carlo Z34 with 153K miles. A couple of months ago, I went across some water in the road that was a little too high for my car, I made it through but since then i have had some issues
accelerating in the car. I am able to start the car and it will idle smooth however when i accelerate the engine bumps, the rpm's will jump up high but sometimes i can push the gas to the floor and the car just sits there and bumps and will eventually catch. I dont think it is the plugs or wires as they are pretty new. The only thing that concerns me and i think is the cause of the issue is sometimes i will hear a knocking noise coming from, what sounds like the transmission. it will knock a couple of times and then the car will catch and accelerate however the rpm's run higher than normal. does anybody have any ideas on what could cause this. Thanks.

Check for a collapsed exhaust system.
Dave

I don't have a guess as to exactly what happened or how, but let's start at the beginning. Have you checked the ATF? What is the level, the color, the smell of the ATF. Are there *any* bubbles on the dipstick? Does the ATF smell at all burnt? Is it a nice red color?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net