99 Cavalier

hiya..not being a "car guy", i get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. anyhow, the guy tells me my belt is worn and should be replaced soon, of course
offering to do it himself. i declined, but was wondering about belt wear. the guy said it was shiny and said it shouldn't look that way. it didn't look too bad to me, but what do i know? is there a way to test it perhaps? if it needs changing, i'll do it, but i don't want to spend money i don't have to.thanks!
mike avera wrote:

If it's not squealing, and the grooved side of the belt isn't loaded up with a bunch of cracks (which, by the way, are fairly normal after so many miles, but you want to inspect the depth of the cracks, that's what is important), then I wouldn't worry too much about. Jiffy Lube type places are designed to get you in the door with the oil change then upsell anything that they can find. That's how they make money. Actually, that's how the industry generally makes money. So you need to be knowledgeable so that you can determine what really needs to be done.
Ian
thanks! now, for an unrelated question. i need to add some Dexcool, as my level is low and my warning light popped on briefly a few times today. how much of the bottle am i supposed to use? i know to mix it with water, but i'm unsure on how much will fill the "surge tank". the owners manual doesnt specify, just says add the correct mixture. the whole bottle plus water? half? sorry to sound dumb, but any advice is appreciated.
mike avera wrote:

The simple way is to pour half of the dexcool into another container, then top up the original container with water. Now you have "50/50" dexcool. Then add your pre-mix to the overflow bottle when the engine is cold, and fill it up to the "cold level" marker. The bottle is clear enough that you should be able to see where the coolant level is as you pour it in.
Ian
shiden_Kai wrote:

And write PRE-MIX in big bold black marker on the container so you don't ever end up mixing it twice.
(Don't ask me why I suggest it, eh? :)
Ken