A Torrent of criticism for Pontiac's new SUV (USA Today Review)

Page 1 of 2
GM engineering strikes again. These are the folks that will lift GM out of the quagmire of stupidity and poor engineering decisions? Heaven help GM
because they sure are *not* helping themselves. GM would do much better to hire Scott Adams who will have Saint Dogbert wave his wand while chanting "Out, Out Demons of Stupidity!!!"
A Torrent of criticism for Pontiac's new SUV http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-02-16-drive-torrent-usat_x.htm
-- Have gun, will travel. Wire Paladin, San Francisco

You spend way too much time looking for everything you can find to bash GM - ever heard of the word "obsession"?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

What's with the constant 'GM sucks' posts and links to articles slamming this vehicle or that vehicle and how GM's losing money/market share/etc.
Ya know what I say, F*** off. It's always trolls too. Seriously, if you don't like something why in the f*** are you wasting your time talking about it?
Don't bother replying, you already hit my killfile.
Steve
Jim Higgins strikes again when he whined:

Jim, you are truly one pathetic excuse of a News Group member. That is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel when you provide a link to the well-known (NOT!) automotive reporter, James R. Healey. (Who???) James R. undoubtedly prefers his Hyundai Sonata. Are you ever going to confide in us the reasons for your deep dislike of all things GM? Come on Jim - you can tell us - we're your friends. ;-) Did they burn you along the way? Are you a disgruntled Investor? A disgruntled GM vehicle owner? A disgruntled supplier? A disgruntled employee? A disgruntled former employee? I'll bet that's it! Am I right Jim? Let it go Jim. It's too late to get your job back. It's time to move on. ;-)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-02-16-drive-torrent-usat_x.htm
FOAD jim.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

Temper, temper. Try an objective reading of an objective report rather than knee jerk threats. You do know the term "objective" don't you?
Jim Higgins wrote:

THIRD REQUEST - Are you ever going to confide in us the reasons for your deep dislike of all things GM? Come on Jim - you can tell us - we're your friends. ;-) Did they burn you along the way? Are you a disgruntled Investor? A disgruntled GM vehicle owner? A disgruntled supplier? A disgruntled employee? A disgruntled former employee? I'll bet that's it! Am I right Jim? Let it go Jim. It's too late to get your job back. It's time to move on. ;-)

Disgruntled former owner of several GM products with a very long memory. It would help GM's case for quality a lot if they would turn to a solid 100K warranty to convince people that they were back and serious about quality.
Jim Higgins wrote:

I knew that there had to be a reason for your bitterness Jim. I'm on the other side of the coin Jim. I've owned 20 GM vehicles in my life, with nary a serious problem. So I tend to be very supportive of GM and tolerant of their organizational shortcomings. But I'd love a 100K warranty from GM! So we're agreed on that.
As I mentioned in another post, I have had bad experiences with Ford, VW and Dodge, but I don't haunt their News Groups spewing venom at every opportunity. Nor do I clip every negative News article and post/link it in their News Groups. You have to lighten up Jim and try to contribute positively to this News Group. I can't speak for anyone else in the group, but your incessant negativity bugs the hell out of me. I have never killfiled anyone, but I've been tempted to block your posts more than once. But then I get wondering what it is that drives you. And here we are. If you really do like other vehicles more than GM, why don't you go to their News Groups and contribute positively to them. All this negativity is going to give you high blood pressure Jim! ;-)
> On 2/18/2006 5:20 AM ... Jim Higgins wrote:

Gee, some of the lemmings here act like you wrote the article.

No, it's clear that his talent doesn't extend beyond posting someone else's thoughts.
Dave
That report was essentially nothing but subjective (there were some objective numbers at then end). That's OK, because it was just the guy's opinion -- by definition, its subjective. Read the dictionary if you don't know what the words you use mean.
- nopcbs

Objective, as used in a car review, would be taken by me to mean that the reviewer had no axe to grind one way or the other.

Sigh, the last thing GM needs is another half-assed effort in it's product lines. Why would anyone go to Pontiac for an SUV anyway?
Isn't GM's strategy to make it's dealers all Pontiac-Buick-GMC stores? If so, let GMC have the SUVs and make them amazingly great.
John
Scott wrote:

Um, why? I'm sure all those criticisms are valid, as the article pretty much describes how I feel about my Impala (same engine, same noise per unit power ratio.)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-02-16-drive-torrent-usat_x.htm

I appreciate what you are saying Jim. I'm currently looking for a replacement for my '95 Chrysler and I find GM just doesn't have anything I like. I'm looking for a slightly smaller car like the Sebring, but not the Sebring as we have one and it has a few body design aspects I'm not fond of. A few days ago I bit on the Ford ads and had a look at their new Fusion. I was pleasantly surprised, just the size I want and very well optioned and priced in the base 3.0 V6 model. I took a few mile quick first impression drive and liked it. The Fusion also avoids a few cheap body design aspects of the GM and Chrysler cars of this size. I'll be looking into the Fusion further. My objective for testing the new cars on my short list is a few day rental, so I can get a good feel of them. A few mile test drive just tells me if I fit it.
My preference is a wagon this time around. Do I wait for a Fusion wagon or get the similar vehicle at Mazda- the Mazda 6 wagon?
What GM needs is another Ed Cole and Harry Barr in the engineering seat. These two guys designed the small block Chevy V8 in just a few weeks, and in 15 months the engines were in production. We all know what that engine did for Chevy and for GM. Roy

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-02-16-drive-torrent-usat_x.htm
> On 2/19/2006 1:51 PM ... ROY BRAGG wrote:

Yea, my dad's '65 Malibu SS had a strong 327 in it. He still speaks fondly of that car, and he's had many since.

Good point, but could it be that the bean counter current Gm managers are holding back engineering progress. The Ford Fusion base V6 model I recently looked at has a 6 sp auto transmission. IMO the the Fusion smokes the GM Pontiac G6 for functional technology.