Attn: Ian--01 impala steering clunking

Hi Ian. I was wondering if you have any experience or know of any mechanics that service ISS problems on W-body vehicles? My vehicle is making clunking sounds when turning and when deaccelerating. Having doing some internet research it appears as though GM recommends the ISS to be lubed. Isn't this a temporary fix? Once my 3 year warranty expires I have to pay each time it requires more lube. I have read that the procedure is quite a bit of work and will cost about $150. I cannot imagine why a huge company like GM can't solve their steering issues and have nothing but temporary fixes. Thanks In Advance, Vince

Reply to
vince markarian

My wife's started doing that just before the warranty was out. We didn't have time to take it to the dealer and I wondered if it may be temporary as well. I found the tsb took the lube kit part number and went to gmpartsdirect.com and ordered it for about $. It took me a couple hours to pull the ISS as its a tight squeeze, but I got it out, put the grease in and put it back in and we now have put 10k more mile on it since. Its my understanding that the shafe is designed to be lubed for life like all new steering parts and just didn't get enough lube at the factory so its not supposed to need it done again. I think though if I ever have to and would suggest to you try this. Just unbolt the iss from the steering wheel end, stick a grease gun in and give a few pumps, then find something to plug the shaft like a cork or rubber ball (the kit had a rubber cork). Plug the shaft hole and work the shafe in and out a few times, then remove the plug and connect it back up. I think it can be done inside the car with only the one end disconnected and the steering wheel end is easier to disconect than the rack end and IIRC the hole for the grease is at that end too.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

"vince markarian" wrote

Yeah, what Eugene Nine said. Though I would add that I've watched the front end guys install the grease, and they stick the shaft in a press in order to get the grease inside the shaft. It seems to work fairly well for most vehicles, but we have had some vehicles that keep coming back.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Has the problem been corrected for 2004?

Seen a few 04's at one dealer. The LS now has smooth finish body colored mouldings, instead of the rough textured black ones. Also gone is the black rough textured rear bumper insert in the depression for the license plate. I see they have a Medium Grey Metallic color like the De Ville offers but calls Thunder Grey.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,400 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Thank you Ian and Eugene. I have made my appointment for Friday. I hope I won't be one of those individuals who have to keep coming back for more fixes. Vince

Reply to
vince markarian