ban petrol cars

Petrol and diesel-engined passenger cars should not allowed in European city centres by 2050, the European Commission has proposed.
The EC wants 50 per cent of Europe’s vehicles to be zero emissions by
2030 and conventionally fuelled vehicles to be banned from cities altogether by 2050.
There are also plans for a fully integrated European travel network, known as ‘Single European Transport Area’, linking all airports with core railway lines to “allow for a profound shift in transport patterns for passengers and freight”.
The EC wants Europe to "move close to zero fatalities in road transport" by 2050, with an interim target of halving casualties by 2020.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/28/2011 10:14 AM, Bjorn wrote:

Well, walking is about the only zero emissions method of getting around. Think electric cars are zero emissions? Fuck no, not so, they are emissions deferred where their emissions are simply spewed on others who are in a different location.
> and conventionally fuelled vehicles to be banned from cities

Personally, I think banning idiot ideas is about the best way to go.

Zero fatalities? Yea, right so you ban roads, cars, trucks, motor-cycles, bicycles, tricycles, anything with wheels, tracks or whatever. Even walking should be prohibited as one might suffer a heart attack and die, and as well we all know the hazards of drunken walking.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖

While it may seem to be far fetched, the way the price of oil is going, it would be smart to continue the quest for alternative fuels. Nothing will ever be zero emissions, of course, but there may well be something better and cleaner in the future. The internal combustion engine as we know it is very inefficient. Keep in mind also, they are talking about city centers. Most cities in Europe are seriously congested by automobiles. They started building them hundreds of years ago with no foresight about today's needs.
There are also far too many fatalities. While zero will never be achieved, it can be greatly reduced in many ways. Starting with better driver training.
Sure it may be fantasy today, but so was the idea of man flying and Dick Tracey's wrist radio.
Add pictures here
✖

Over the years there is a tendency to move traffic away from city centers and give bicles, public transport and pedestrians back to the people.
It is a slow process and the rights of petrol cars to pollute and kill people is strong.
I guess we have reached the hight of the age of the petrol vehicles.
From now on there will be more and more decisions like these made and in some years we will wonder why we ever let the petrol car rule our world.
The whole transport system is beginning to change and the way we live and work is changing too.
We will have to begin to plan to live close to public transport as well as having work closer to home.
This plan here is thinking 40 years but it is best to plan the next job, next home etc based on these plans.
People do not move houses or change jobs every day but over a timeframe of 40 years a lot of things will happen.
Most politicians think in months or a few years.
Planning for decades is what we need.
Add pictures here
✖

Oddly enough, Texas is considering raising the speed limits on something over 500 miles of public roads. The proposed speed limit there is 85 mph.
According to the presenter, studies have shown this to be the safest speed for those particular stretches of highway.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/8/2011 12:18 PM, hls wrote:

Actually, I think 20 MPH is more realistic, with automatic enforcement... <bg>
So many people don't realize the killer is not speed, but differences in speed where some drivers drive well below the speed limit, and some above.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message news:2fidnSN->

Works for me. Depending on the road and traffic, 85 or even 95 is very safe. It may use more fuel, but my car has a top speed of about 140 and has tires rated for that speed. I'm very comfortable cruising at 90+ mph in the right place. I don't drive that speed at night or when the road is wet or there is slower traffic to contend with.
When the Interstates were designed and built in the 1950s, the cars of the day were not generally capable of safely cruising at those speeds. Steering was sloppy, tires were not as strong, etc. Proper driving skills, attention to the road are needed though, to keep safe.
Add pictures here
✖