Brake Lights won't work when headlights are on

I drive a 1988 C1500 recently have noticed that the blinkers were flashing quicker than usual which usually is a sign that you have a blinker out, checked them all no problem. Then I finally figured out that when my
headlights are on I have no brake lights, when my headlights are off I have brake lights. Completly dazed and confused if any one can help out I would greatly appreciate it. If needed you can email me at ShawnaCDA [at] aol [dot] com
Thanks in advance
Shawna
Shawna wrote:

Sounds to me like there is a bad ground, basically the difference in resistance between the parking lights (those that are on when the headlights are on) and the brake lights will allow one to work and then the other, but not both. Check the ground wire and make sure the bulbs are getting a good connection to ground. I have the same truck, only 4wd, had troubles with my tail lights for a while, sockets were not making good connection. That should fix your problem.
Gus
Thanks for answering my problem Gus, the only thing is, I don't know much about fixing things, could you tell me what the ground wire is and where it is at?
grockswo wrote:

Ground is the black wire. If you're really this unfamiliar with repairs you'd be better off taking it to a shop to get it fixed.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net