CABIN FILTER

I took my 2002 BUICK to the local JiffyLube for an oil/filter change.
After less than 5 minutes under the hood, the guy came back with a very dirty
"cabin air filter". ( I had them replace it )
I'm somewhat surprised.... I've looked all over the engine compartment, and I can't find access to the filter.
The BUICK owners manual describes changing the filter, but it must be written in UAW code.... I can't make sense of the directions.
I'd like to do it myself next time. Any hints on where to start ?
<rj>

Which model of Buick do you have? There are several.
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:55:21 -0400, "80 Knight" <80 snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com - Remove SPMASUCKS To Reply> wrote:

It's a 2002 BUICK Century <rj>
If a Lesabre it is inside an access cover r/s of cowl just below the w/s, under the hood.

-

Look at the cowling under the hood on the passenger side of the car. IIRC, you just squeeze two clips to remove the top and then you can slide the filter out. On my LeSabre, the filter folds by 1/3 and then you just slide it back in. Takes less than 5 minutes the second time you do it. The filter is not cheap, about $15 from the auto parts store. I've never seen cabin filters in Wal Mart type stores.
Good thing you don't have a Park Avenue, It takes about 15 minutes for me to change the cabin Filter. Its buried under the dash to the right of the gas pedal.
You've got to be a contortionist to get your hand up in there to get out the three panel filter.
Owners manual does say you can run without the cabin air filter - but you air won't be filtered.
harryface 05 Park Avenue 51,876 91 Bonneville 307,583
Another purpose of the filter is to keep the heater core clean helping eliminate corrosion.