Car wonít shift out of park

I have a 95 Cavalier and itís been running wonderfully. I drove it all day today around town doing errands.....and no problems. I came home for about 30 minute to eat lunch and when I got in my car to
leave again, it wouldnít shift out of park. Itís an automatic transmission and the actual gear shift will shift into all gears, but itís not really shifing out of park....the indicator on the dash board shows itís still in park. Any ideas anyone? Iíve never had any problems with this car and donít have a mechanic. Could it possibly be a broken belt or something as simple as that? Help from a single, 52 yr. old female, who knows NOTHING about cars! LOL
‚úĖ
Sounds like the shift linkage broke. You will probably need to find a good local garage or a good friend who understands cars...

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Actually there are two shift cables in my 96 manual. One of them may have broken or come loose...

Add pictures here
‚úĖ