2000 mystique wont shift out of park

Hey all heres a goofy one. My neighbors 2000 mystique wont shift out of park the normal way. The only way he can get it out of park is to use the bypass
screwdriver method. He replaced the brake switch under the dash to no avail. All the fuses are good, the only other thing wrong with the car is that the front left turn signal is not working.. Any ideas as to whats broken here. Thanks Steve

There is a solenoid that releases the shifter that is engaged when you step on the brakes. That is what you push out of the way with the 'screwdriver' method. It's possible it's either not getting power, is dead, or is jammed. If your brake lights worked, then replacing the switch would do nothing. If I remember right when I had a '95 Mystique, there should be a slight 'clunk' when you step on the brake while it is in park.
Check out the forums on www.contour.org for detailed information from fans of the Contour/Mystique/Mondeo.