check engine light

We just bought a 1997 dodge sport half tone,under warranty,well the light has come on,so we took it back were we bought it and they said there was nothing wrong they could find,they said it wqill just stay on,so here is
my way of thinking if this light is on there is a problem,so is there some one that can help me solve this problem.
How about the CEL code, that would be step one in the help you ask for!!!

-
Buddy if it is under warranty take it back. The Cel light indicates an problem do not leave without it being out. This is shoddy treatment by the Dealership . I work as an mechanic and this is unacceptable in an quality shop.
Rey
Rey. we did take it back they did an dinostics on it and they said there wasn't a problem.

That is BS! Take it to a different dealer
Roy this dodge is under warranty @ the dealer we bought it from,but here is our dilema this pickup has been in there shop 3 times since weve had for four wheel drive problems with the front end,I think we just bought some ones problem child.

If the light is on there *IS* a problem. Apparently, their shop is incapable of diagnosing the problem or they are just plain lying to you.
Mr skippy now it is getting terrible gas milage almost a full tank in 120 miles of mountain and high alttidue driving,the tac is really high,and and if you sit with it @ 5000 on the tac it acts like it is missing,not like fuel like something is pluged up,and it is really doggy in power wise.

Again, there is obviously something wrong. Whatever it is setting of the check engine light. If they won't fix it then you'll have to take it somewhere else and possibly pursue legal action against them in small claims court. Whatever turned on the light set a fault code stored in the computer. It has to be accessed with the correct scan tool to determine the problem.
thx MR skippy dam skippy sir.