Check Oil Soon Light

97 Lumina has a feature were it tells you to Check Oil Soon. This light comes on when the car is started, and it stays on for about 2 minutes after. Just bought this car and went to get an oil change right away. That evening
leaving work I noticed it still comes on and stays on 2 minutes after starting. Any thoughts what is up with this?
Turn the Ignition on without starting the car....within 5 seconds push the accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times... the light should flash a few times and go out... That is how you reset the Change oil light on your vehicle

after.
evening
Is that Check Oil Soon or Change Oil Soon? If it's Check Oil, either you're low on oil or there's something wrong with the oil level sensor or related components. If it's Change Oil Soon, then you have to reset the oil life monitor after doing an oil change by pressing the gas pedal to the floor 3 times with the key on and engine off.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
But in a fuel injected car I was always told to not pump the gas or they flood. Are you sure this is safe and my car will start okay?

You were either lied to, or the person is a complete idiot. Moving the gas pedal does not cause any fuel flow with the engine off. GW
Cammie wrote:

So is flooding a car only without fuel injection engines? I know I've pumped the gas trying to get a car to start, and it flooded, I'm assuming because I was turning the key that this is the difference.
All try the suggestion to get the light to turn off. Thanks

light
minutes
after
On a carburetor, pumping the gas with the engine not running will squirt fuel into the intake. On a fuel injection system, pumping the gas with the engine not running will do absolutely nothing (well, other than resetting the change oil on vehicles like this..)
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Pumping the gas pedal only floods carbureted engines, since carburetors include an acceleration pump in them. Roy

light
Thank you thank you thank you to those who suggested the gas pumping to reset my change oil soon light... it worked and it is now off! Thanks again!
The GM bulletins provide the information that you are looking for:
http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/3_00_e.pdf
http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/2_00_e.pdf

after.
evening