Chevrolet's electric Volt depreciates 58% in 3 years

Chevrolet's electric Volt depreciates 58% in 3 years

Jim_Higgins

Not surprising, but eh Ford Focus really turns to crap too.

"Despite all the hype and multiple Car of the Year honors, Volt retains only

42% of its original value after three years of ownership -- a lower percentage than a 2011 Toyota Prius hybrid (46%) but more than a 2011 Ford Focus (37.5)."
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think these two cars could be pretty good metal but would still depreciate more than a more desirable mainstream car because of what they are, not how good they are.

Reply to
hls

They depreciate more because their initial price is more. Whoops that's wrong, according to this:

that's looks to be circa 2007. And I don't know how accurate itis anyway. I recall one or two year old Corollas going for realclose to new price at that time.Prius battery maintenance costs are pretty well known I think.I don't know about the Volt and Focus batteries.Don't see how they can project 3 year depreciation on a car that justwent on the market 5 months ago, but since the second owner won't getthe government rebate, and that's a big chunk right there.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

That would be about the time the Lithium battery needs to be replaced.

But given the Volts price, in dollars that is a lot of depreciation. At least a Focus with less than 1/2 the capital cost not only looses less in percentage, looses a whole lot less in capital. Less to go wrong too.

Reply to
Canuck57

Lets face it.. no matter how good the Focus is, it is a car that, in a few years, will have very little interest on the used car market.

I have a lot of respect for what Ford has done.. But the Ford Feces is just not a car destined for history

Reply to
hls

I actually agree, that is why I own a true V8 F150.

But t least a Focus does not drain your pocket book like a Volt.

Reply to
Canuck57

I thought Focus is mazda 3 with shittier (softer) suspension. Why is it feces to you? they could not have botchered mazda 3 all that much

Reply to
AD