Cleaning gas tank

I have a 1967 C 10 pickup which has a gas tank with rusty residue. I'm going to pull it and clean it and would like some advice on the proper way to do this. TIA

says...

An old trick is to put rocks in your tank and shake it around. Just gotta clean it out thoroughly. Something else you might try are those dipping acids but thats a real hazard.

Check out the price of a new gas tank.... Also check out the internet for items like this. Yes, you may get by cheaper by cleaning it out, but it will not last nearly long enough after removing the rust.
. Vuarra
Check around. There are places that will clean and line the inside. Chances are it is going to rust thru if only cleaned..

You'll want to coat the inside of the tank to protect it after you clean it. You can either have it done professionally or buy the coating yourself. Eastwood Company sells a coating for the inside of a gas tank. Whatever you do, don't just clean it and then re-use it.