Gas Tank

How can you tell the difference between a NOS gas tank and a repro?

I have a line on a tank that is new(never used) but the seller does not know if it is a real german tank or a repro. It is for a 61-67 beetle.

He says that it looks just like the one for his 63 beetle. Are the repros that close in appearance to the real ones?

Thanks.

Reply to
TerryB

any of the repo tanks I have seen look cheap, there is a 66 bug at the shop now that has a repo tank and you can tell by the seem its anot real.push on the tank the cheap ones flex alot.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks Mario good info, that falls into my thoughts of things to check. I kinda felt that there should be some obvious differences in appearance.

Reply to
TerryB

Most I've seen are stamped BRAZIL some where and the seam isnt smooth and trimed - pus they oftem have a glossy flaking paint job.

Reply to
Wolfgang

..............The good repros are made in Canada. I have one for my '66 that I bought quite awhile back at Advanced Auto Parts for a little over $100. It's a pretty sturdy tank that compares well in quality to the original. The paint wasn't anything special so I stripped it, treated it with MetalReady and then brushed it with POR15.

Reply to
Tim Rogers