stuck in reverse

I parked my cavalier the other night, put the transmission in neutral and let the clutch out, the car jerked and stalled as if it were still in gear.
I tried to put it in first, then neutral and coudn't. I started the car and realized it was stuck in reverse. the shifter is in the neutral position but the transmission wont come out. Anyone have any ideas? I dont even know if i can tow it. thx.
I really don't know what you should do but... try actually putting it in reverse, back up (a little), then try and put it in 1st or something other than reverse or nuetral.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:32:11 GMT, "lee"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
tried that, I also tried to push it forward and pop the cclutch to see if i could jerk it out.
wrote:

gear.
and
but
if i

I don't know that much about it either, but off the top of my head it sounds like linkage may have broken or come loose. The shifter won't move much because of the gates, but when moving it around can you hear the linkage moving or attempting to move it into gear or out of?
Tony
P.S. You could have it towed, but they would probably have to use a flatbed.
I don't think so, the shifter won't come out of neutral position, I can move it from side to side but thats it.

"lee" wrote

move
I'd guess that one of your shifter cables is broken.
Ian
| I parked my cavalier the other night, put the transmission in neutral and | let the clutch out, the car jerked and stalled as if it were still in gear. | I tried to put it in first, then neutral and coudn't. I started the car and | realized it was stuck in reverse. the shifter is in the neutral position but | the transmission wont come out. Anyone have any ideas? I dont even know if i | can tow it. thx. | |
Likely that the shifter linkage has gotten out of adjustment.
sounds like a linkage has broken or has become loose. the car can be towed with out the use of a flat bed, it is front wheel drive. the tow truck lifts the front wheels off the ground. why not just jack the car up. put it on stands and check the linkages, you may be able to find the problem and fix it yourself.
Happened to a buddy of mine on his 87 Z24, it was a cable.

gear.
and
but