Dip stick tubw seal

My 73 Nova started leaking transmission fluid from the transmission dip stick tube. It's a TH350 behind a 454. Took me three hours to get the tube
out of the transmission today. And, no way can I remove the tube from the car, but I can replace the O ring. Question is how the hell am I going to get he tube back into the transmission? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. There is very little room to work as the header goes from the sub-frame to the trans pan. Need to find a way to pull the tube down hard.
To remove the tube I tried to slide the rear cross member back to drop the tail of the transmission. The cross member hits the right side header flange, so I removed the rear mount and set the tail directly on the cross member. Used a long extension and a swivel socket to remove the bell housing bolt that also holds the tube. Then I could wiggle the tube, but no way would it come out. After much prying and tugging it popped out. Then I couldn't get it high enough to clear the transmission. The end of the tube that fits in the transmission is long. After more wiggling and twisting I found the right spot and it's out. What a way to spend an afternoon:(
Al
Have never heard anyone say how much they love headers. I would remove the header and do it right.

Is the tube completely out? Why not cut off some of its extra length--seems to me (iirc) the tube doesn't have to extend into the trans nearly as far as it does. Should make it easier to at least start back in. HTH, s

Got the tube back in the transmission. Piece of cake:) Used a 19 MM open end wrench, large "C" clamp and a 5/8" hex nut. The 19 MM wrench fits on the tube and catches on the "bump" that keeps the tube from going in too far. "C" clamp on top of the wrench to the oil pan with the nut to keep it from bending the edge. Tightened the clamp and then tube went right in.
Al

Glad u got it--hafta remember. s
After all I went through, it still leaks. Color me frustrated....
Al
Then there may be a hairline crack in the housing.