Driving test

Everyone should be able to score at least 85 or above or you probably should not be driving.
http://www.nationaldriverstest.com/national-drivers-test/ndt-test.php

Some of the questions are puzzling..
9. When making right or left turns, a driver should signal _______ before the turn? A. 100 feet B. 50 feet C. 35 feet D. 5 feet
I signal at an appropriate TIME to warn others of my intentions.
16. Under most conditions what is a safe following distance? A. 3 seconds B. 10 seconds C. 20 seconds
I follow at a safe DISTANCE which depends on speed and traffic congestion, or lack of it. Knowing your vehicle and its safe breaking ability is key, plus a little common sense.
"Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote in message

The correct answer to #9 is 100 feet. While time is a factor and speed sensitive, anything less than 100 feet is a bit short under MOST condition. The people that signal when they already started a turn really piss me of.
As for the time versus distance in #16, they are really tied together. The proper distance does vary with speed, but you still need at least three seconds between cars. In city traffic that may be 10 feet, on a fast highway it can be over 100 feet. The car in front of you is also moving at about the same speed so time is really more important than distance. You are making that calculation whether you realize it or not.

Agreed... and the people who don't signal at all.

I see what you're saying but from a practical point of view, how would you measure a '3 second' separation? City roads have at least 2 lanes and some here (Toronto Canada) have 3, 4, or even 5 lanes - each moving at different speeds. The outermost, the fastest, the innermost, the slowest. The '3 second solution' (applying to each lane) is a beautiful solution, but I suspect it was derived by a mathmatician, rather than a concensus of users :-)
Everone (hopefully) can judge distance better than time in these circumstances. I know I can.
"Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote in message

I don't believe you grasp the concept of the 3 sec rule, although they teach it at a 2 second rule here.
It doesn't matter if you would have 100 lanes, the only lane you should be concerned about with the rule, is the one you are traveling.
You pick out a fixed object, be it a lamp post, guardrail, sign, tree, or whatever. When the vehicle in front of you passes that mark, it should take 3 seconds b/4 you cross the exact mark. The higher the speed, the more the distance between you.
People can't judge/estimate distance, than true time.
All student CDL drivers are taught a 4 second rule for semi trucks. Doesn't mean all follow the 4 second rule.

When you do that, you're eyes estimate the distance - and it's just the same with a moving object, like the vehicle in front of you - it's called stereopsis.
Estimating when a moving object ahead of you is parallel to some fixed object is much more difficult.

"Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote in message

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
If more people would follow teachings, instead of driving by the seat of their pants, there would be a lot less accidents.

Ah.. a fellow golfer!
"Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote in message

Normal reflex time is near to a second, I would guess, making a 3 second separation into a 2 second separation.
60 mph is the same as 88 feet per second, so a two second separation is some 176 feet. Just a bit longer than some cars take to brake to a stop.
Now, if you are farting around on a cell phone, you will be up his sphincter before you can say "bye bye".