Fuel Additive

Hello does anyone know if Fuel additives really do work,? specifically detergents. Is there a detergent on the market that you can add to your fuel that would act as a clensing agent.
I was told by a technician once that buying the cheaper gas (which has a higher conentration of Sulpher) is not that good for your vehicle in the longrun, or is it just a cash grab for the oil companies/ Vehicle manufacturers. thanks

They do something, but if your injectors are really clogged, they probably don't do that much - a cleaning involving a system that feeds cleaner directly through the fuel system works much better.
Also, gas is supposed to contain injector cleaning additives to prevent deposits from forming. I believe this is required in the US, but maybe not in Canada. For that reason, avoiding cheap no-name gas is probably a good idea, as you don't know where it comes from or what additives it contains.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
There are many good products on the market that will clean fuel system " as you drive " A slightly clogged injector, or gummy carburator will respond well to these treatments. A jammed shut injector, or filthy carburator won't flow well enough to noticably improve. I'd say cleaner is a good idea, I'd change fuel filter after burning up a tank of treated fuel, just to be extra safe. As for "cheap" gas, I doubt the EPA would allow the sale of truly bogus fuel. Some mechanics say cheap gas burns up valves. I use cheap gas, and have yet to have any problems.