Fuel Injector Cleaners

Hi
This may sound strange, but I've been driving Fuel Injection cars for the past 15 years (Z24 2.8 MPFI, Sunbird 2.0 TBI, Grand-Am 90 2.3 MPFI Corvette
89 5.7 TPI) and I never used an injector cleaner. Is it necessary to clean injectors or add a cleaner to the fuel.
Thanks
Dan
If you live in California, the answer is yes due to the additives in the gas. GM has issued a TSB on 5.7L SPFI engines for California and extended the warranty on these injectors to 10 years / 200,000 miles. The TSB tells the service dealers to flush the injectors -- you can do the same thing by adding the cleaner to the gas tank.
Black Bomb wrote:

It's not absolutely necessary in most cases but, it doesn't hurt. I use one in my vehicles about every 25,000 miles and everything woks great. If you want a cleaner that works well though, buy either Techron or Seafoam; they're the best of the additives that I've found. For a great spray carb cleaner, I use Berkebile 2+2 Instant Gum Cutter or you can get the NAPA brand (Mike's Carb Cleaner, I think) spray which is the same thing (both of them smell like mothballs and work like magic). I've tried dozens of other brands of carb/injector cleaners/sprays and these are the only ones that I've found to work as advertised. Rich B
Black Bomb wrote in alt.autos.gm

Usually not, but if you notice the car running a bit rough you can try running a good cleaner through the gas tank.
--
Dick #1349
THANKS

Corvette
The newest cars have a smaller opening in the injectors than cars of the past. This leads to more injector clogging. I can tell you that on the newer 3800's, we have to flush injectors frequently because cars come in with a miss. Many have under 20,000 miles. We hook up a pressurized cylinder with a can of GM top engine cleaner and gas mix(about 5 to 1 gas to cleaner) then disable the fuel pump and run the car on this mixture pressurized to 40-55 psi depending on the engine and it stops the miss. I guess these people will be paying for this once the cars are out of warranty. It just shows that you may have never had this problem in the past, but if ever there was a time to start adding injector cleaner, it would be now.

Corvette
What about the advice that modern fuels already contain detergents and such which help clean injectors (or at least keep them clean)?

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
I'll put in my two cents here since I just within the last month researched and had my injectors cleaned using a "motorvac" which is the same as described using a fuel/cleaner mix that is run through the engine.
I had rough idle and miss on a '95 2.3L. It just wouldn't go away. I'd use Seafoam and that tank it would run great, then it was back to normal. I finally decided to have them cleaned using that method.
It worked wonderfully, and was fairly inexpensive, though not at all when compared to buying a can or bottle of cleaner.
Tony