Give my Caprice a Little Rumble!!

I was thinking of removing the resonator (the muffler like unit near the tailpipe) and going with a piece of straight pipe to give my 92 Caprice a little rumble.
Is this likely to make any difference good/bad or should I just replace the muffler (in the middle of the car) with a Flowmaster or something similar?
I'm not looking to rattle windows, just a little more noise to make me feel better :)
tia
P.S What does the resonator do anyway, aside from resonate of course?

I tried removing the resonators 35 years ago with my 1967 GTO. It didn't do much of anything that I could tell. So, I put them back on and replaced the mufflers themselves with Thrush "glass packs". Those made a loud, but mellow/throaty sound. A little loud for my tastes these days though. Also, the constant monotone rumble sound when cruising on a road trip about drove me nuts. But is sure sounded great when "squirreling around"!
On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:32:51 -0400, James C. Reeves wrote:

Yea i just found that out :( I pulled the resonator from the rear of the Caprice and I don't hear/feel any difference :(
I put it back...
I think I'm going to go with a Flowmaster muffler in the middle of the system and seeing as the cat converter has about 300k on it I think i will replace it at the same time as well.
Walter

Have fun!