GM dealership orders

Hi - I have another question about a dealership ordering a truck for me. The manager told me when the order is placed there is a period it takes GM to
check the order and place it in the system so the car maybe made, He made it sound like just because you place an order doesn't mean they will build the car.
He said that takes a few days any idea how long? I didn't want to call the dealership and get anyone mad, then he said once that number is produced in three weeks a VIN number will be produced when the order hits the line. Is that true?
I'm just an impatient customer.. Thanks
If you truly have a special order vehicle - meaning you go down an options list and select specifically the options you do or do not want and have the vehicle built based on those selections, then it typically takes 4 to 6 weeks for the dealer to receive the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, it could take up to 3 months, but that number is more typical for import vehicles. If you can take delivery of the vehicle sooner than 4 to 6 weeks, then you're doing well.
Roger

That has been my experience as well...about 4 weeks (at least with Chrysler). Negotiate out the "floorplan" costs since the dealer won't have a per-diem consignment cost on that vehicle like they would for a "in-stock" model...save a few more $$$. The dealer won't miss it.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:28:58 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

How does one determine that value? I assume it varies from brand to brand, and perhaps by region as well, and maybe even by individual dealership i.e. large volume dealer gets discount.
Thanks!
Rick

www.edmunds.com has information on those costs.
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:25:46 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Great! Many thanks for the education!
Rick
Are you saying the manfuacturer will pay a holdback to the dealer on a special order? Well, if that's the case, anyone getting a special order vehicle should take another 3 points off the settled price since the dealer is essentially turning it around with 0 time on the lot...

That's right.
Well that's what we did, We put in all the options and put in the order but he made it a point to say GM has to accept this order now when they do they assign some type of # to it and then 3 weeks later from when we placed the order a vin will be assigned. What im asking is how long from when we placed the order (This past Tuesday I watched him do it) does it get assigned a real work #????? Two days, week ???
This was only placed a an order because the dealer cant seem to swap or find a Yukon XL (Deep Blue/ Leather interrior, 4x4, second row captain, DVD etc) in the Albany Ny /CT area. He tried for 5 days with no luck...
Thanks Andy

Curiosity, what dealer are you dealing with? I bought my truck from Denooyer Chevy in Dec. '03, it was a used vehicle but the experience there was still good. They stood behind the warranty they provided me and the salesman worked hard to get the price down to, and then under my target monthly payments. My family has bought from this dealer only once before, but have also bought 2 vehicles from Denooyer Dodge. I practically live around the corner from Northstar, and have had my truck fixed there, they're OK from a service standpoint, not sure about the sales though.

I am purchasing from Goldstein, I have worked with Denaoyer and also found them to be very honest and great service department. I tried Gendron but they had to swap also and not the color I like.
Goldstein tried to swap with 3 places no luck so we sat down and just ordered it... Its a great deal they quoted me unless something changes from the order to the final paper work ;)

My parents deal with Goldstein for service, they have a Buick. I think they're alright with the service they get from there, though I think they get extra services quoted an awful lot.

I just placed an order for a Chevy Express Cargo Van, only way to get one in any color other then white. The salesman said the amount of time from placement of order to start of build depends on the current assembly line setup at the plant. If your order happens to be compatible with the current assembly run it could be only a week. BTW, you can search dealer inventory by zip code online at gmbuypower.com. After a week I knew more about inventory than most of the sales reps I talked to.

I agree with you about knowing more than the sales people. I guess I should of looked before placing my order. According to the dealership they got confirmation last week they are building my Yukon XL But will take another week (3 weeks from when I ordered) to have a VIN in hand. He said if he gets the VIN we can close the deal, what ever that means. I just don't want to loose the $4,500 in rebates. He said if we have the VIN before 3/31 we are ok even though the Ads all say you must take delivery. I just hope the Yukon gets here soon im loosing patients with this knowing a dealer 30 miles away has what I want and I assume since ive seen it in his inventory for over 2 months they would want to deal.
Does anyone know if GM making Yukons this time of year or am I wasting my time waiting? Thanks
Andy

My dealer told me the basically the same thing, can't sign a contract until we have a VIN and the contract date controls the rebate. However, he did insure that if GM bumps up the rebates in April they will let me sign a new contract and get the added rebate. My rebate is only 1500 but I still would hate to lose it. I had to give a $1000 non-refundable deposit because the manager said he could never sell the vehicle I am having built. Apparently I will have one of a kind Silver Birch Metallic Express Cargo Van!