Help! my drives caliper will not compress!

I have done the passenger side and now I have moved onto the drivers side. I can not compress the caliper to install new pads. What do I need to do? Please help! Thanks.

Aaron in Tulsa wrote:

then compress, the barely opened bleeder will allow the fluid to squirt out when compressing the caliper but isn't open enough to let too much run out and trap air in the system. You can put a small hose on the end to catch the squirting fluid also. This works well with ABS equipped vehicles to prevent the fluid from pushing back up into the ABS system.
Depending on what type of caliper pistons you have, some you can press back in and some have to be turned in with a special tool that will not damage them.
--
twins0203
Aaron in Tulsa wrote:

Dunno how the pro's do it; but us old guys who like to do for ourselves just use a big "C" clamp...
Take the lid off the reservoir, and slowly SLOWLY use the C clamp to push the piston back just far enough to let you re-assemble.
After you're done, pump the pedal a few times before you drive off.
Ken
Use the old brake pad over the piston when using the clamp, otherwise your gonna bust up the piston.. then you'll be pissed.

Both sides should compress with nearly equal ease. You may have an internal corrosion problem with this one. H
Another common cause on an older vehicle is the rubber flex hose between the frame and the caliper deteriorates internally and wont let the fluid back off when the pedal is released. It sort of acts like a check valve. Hints of this problem is the wheel won't turn by hand when jacked up, abnormal pad wear only on this side, or the steering wheel pulls to that side for a short while after braking. The cure is simple - replace BOTH flex lines as the other one probably isn't going to last much longer either. Deteriorated flex lines act almost the same as a sticking caliper piston.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Both sides should compress with nearly equal ease. You may have an internal corrosion problem with this one. H